Day 93: Cabano, QC to Notre-Dame-du-Portage, QC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2017

Day 93: Cabano, QC to Notre-Dame-du-Portage, QC

We started out today on the Route Verte bike trail. It wasn't bad, but it's not like riding on asphalt.

The tracks show that the trail surface had some soft patches. It is not relaxing to have to watch every inch as you ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are camping spots along the bike trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

After about 8 miles, Kerry spotted this gravel path up to the highway.

Kerry is seeing of we can get the bike up this hill, around the guard rail and onto the highway. It wasn't easy, but we did it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

He scouted it out and decided we could make it. We did, but it wasn't easy for me to help pull that bike up the really steep loose gravel near the top. I was seriously afraid I would fall. But we got it done and then pedaled along a paved shoulder all the way to Riviere-du-Loup. It was a good shoulder most of the way, but there were a few rough patches. There was also a long, almost 3 mile climb. It wasn't steep, but we were very glad to get to the top! After that, it was downhill most of the way. We've seen these moose warning signs since western New Brunswick. It would have been cool to see one.

We were disappointed that we didn't see a moose
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry spotted this big beaver lodge near the highway.

Beaver lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0

About 5 miles before our exit, the highway went from two lanes to a divided four lane controlled access expressway and there was a big sign saying bicycles were prohibited. There was an exit just a mile away, but Kerry didn't want to get off route and have to find our way back, so he just stayed on the highway. We had a big wide shoulder, but we had to cross about three exit and entrance ramps. A couple of drivers honked at us, but we pedaled like hell and got to our exit without a problem.

When we got to Riviere-du-Loup, it was really downhill. We had an 18% grade for about .4 miles. I held on tight and Kerry held the brakes and we made it down safely. It wasn't as scary going down as it looked from the top. Coming into town, we got our first view of the St. Lawrence River.

The St. Lawrence River and the top of our big downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St. Lawrence River
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer view of the river
Heart 0 Comment 0

The B&B where we're staying tonight overlooks the river.

The view from our B&B porch
Heart 0 Comment 0

They say they have gorgeous sunset views. I'll try to get some good pictures to post tomorrow.

Tomorrow we continue riding south along the river. This is a very popular cycling route. We've seen a lot of cyclists going by the B&B this afternoon. It should be a very good ride.

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 3,821 miles (6,149 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0