Day 76: Saint Peters, PEI to Rustico, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2017

Day 76: Saint Peters, PEI to Rustico, PEI

We had another good day today. We weren't crazy about the B&B last night, but the breakfast was good. We enjoyed talking with the other guests which included a couple from Drummondville, Quebec who were also touring PEI by bicycle.

At first it didn’t seem like it was going to be a good day. When we started out, we had a very strong headwind, a lot of rolling hills, and a sprinkling of rain. However, after our first stop, the wind died down, the rain stopped and the sun came out, warming things up a bit.

The Hillsborough River near Mt. Stewart
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were no museums on the route today, but we did stop at Dalvay-by-the-Sea, a National Historic Site of Canada. It features a beautiful old hotel built as a private summer home by a wealthy Scots-born American in 1895. It reminded us of the Jekyll Island Club on the Georgia coast.

The Dalvay Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The front lawn of the Dalvay
Heart 0 Comment 0

While we were there, we met some touring cyclists. Vern and Karen, along with Jan and Don, all from Saskatchewan, are riding in different provinces this summer. I don't think we've ever met anyone from Saskatchewan before. Vern and Karen decided to celebrate Canada's 150th by taking a bike ride in each province this year. We’re sorry that we didn't get to meet Don, who was in Charlottetown getting broken spokes replaced.

Vern, Karen and Jan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dalvay-by-the-Sea is in the Prince Edward Island National Park. The road runs along the shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. There is a separate two way bicycle lane along the road. Most of the way, the view of the water is blocked by dunes. There were a number of places to access the beach, but we chose to enjoy what we could see from the bike.

We had decided to go to a place for lunch near Dalvay called Richard's. We didn't know anything about it, but it was in the right place for a lunch stop and one of the other guests at breakfast this morning recommended it. It was a great choice. It had outdoor seating only, and you line up to order at a window. There was a pretty long line the whole time we were there. It turns out that it is a well known fish and chips place. They had a wall covered with reviews from travel and food publications.

There were a bunch of cyclists there, including a group on a supported tour. We, of course, talked to everybody.

Another cyclist interested in our tandem
Heart 0 Comment 0

All our food was good and the fried scallops were outstanding. The French Fry serving size rivaled Five Guys and I couldn't begin to finish mine. It hurts me to throw away good fries, so Kerry did it for me.

We're at our kind of motel tonight - we could roll the bike from the parking lot right into the room. It's an older building, but is clean and spacious with modern amenities, a pleasant change from last night's not so clean B&B.

The view from our motel, The Pines
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head into a busier tourist area for a two night stay in Summerside.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,110 miles (5,005 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0