Day 77: Rustico, PEI to Summerside, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2017

Day 77: Rustico, PEI to Summerside, PEI

We had more miles of scenic PEI views today. We rode along the north shore of the island and through some busier tourist centered areas.

The coast was rocky with steep bluffs.

The north shore coastline
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bluffs are steep and rocky
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were on a bike lane through the national park for a few miles. At one place, there were a number of cars and cyclists stopped.

We saw a bunch of people stopped by the trail ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we got closer, we could see two foxes. One headed off into the trees, but the other just sat down on the trail and seemed content to be photographed. People were gradually getting closer and closer and she (or he) was still sitting calmly there when we finally rode away.

There were two foxes. As we approached, one of them ran into the trees. This one laid down on the path and seemed content to be photographed as people edged closer and closer. I hope it wasn't sick or injured.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just past the park, we rode through the Cavendish area with lots of Anne of Green Gables themed attractions, miniature golf, water parks, shops and restaurants. We saw one thing which made us glad we chose this route - a real Canadian Mountie. He was very gracious about posing for photographs.

A real Canadian Mountie. He was very friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that short stretch of relatively busy road, we were back into farms and little fishing villages.

The village of Stanley Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lobster season on PEI has just ended and there are lobster traps stacked up on docks everywhere.

Lobster traps stacked on the dock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful fish sheds - PEI has a lot of colorfully painted buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our plan for tonight was to go to a Celtic music and dance show just across the street from the hotel. We got in, showered, went out for a big dinner and then decided we were just too tired to go to the show. I think we're getting old!
Tomorrow is a rest day. We may walk around town and visit some museums, but right now, I think I could be completely happy just to hang out in this very nice hotel room and take life easy.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 3,155 miles (5,077 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0