Day 15: Laurinburg, NC to Wade, NC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2017

Day 15: Laurinburg, NC to Wade, NC

It had to happen. Our string of days of almost perfect weather ended today. It wasn’t really bad, but we started out this morning with a temperature in the low 60’s, dense cloud cover and a damp mist. The mist cleared after a couple of hours, but we never saw the sun all day. It finally got up to about 70, but I was chilly all day. We also had a mild headwind most of the day.

The route was the same rural farmland we’ve been riding through until we got to Fayetteville. The farm animal of the day was goats. I didn’t stop to take any pictures, but we passed several small herds of goats.

Planting a field
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Fayetteville, we visited the Airborne and Special Operations Museum. We were concerned about finding a safe place to leave the bike, but Norma, a museum volunteer, said we could park it inside near the reception desk. So far, traveling by bike hasn’t limited us at all.

Betty and Norma at Special Ops and Airborne Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

The museum was interesting. It showed the history of the Army’s airborne units beginning with the first test platoon in 1940 and the evolution of the various Special Operations units.

Beginning of Army's airborne units
Heart 0 Comment 0
Army special forces
Heart 0 Comment 0
Combat service and signal support. Airborne rangers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Depiction of special ops at work in Afghanistan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the museum, we rode through a very attractive area that had lots of shops, galleries and café’s. It appears Fayetteville now has a vibrant arts and entertainment area downtown – a change from the old “Fayette-nam” reputation of the 60’s and 70’s.

When we finally got to our motel, a long, hot shower to warm up felt great. Being there was nothing else nearby, we then walked over to Subway for supper. Tomorrow’s forecast is for a 50% chance of rain and cool again. The chance of rain decreases in the afternoon, so we may wait to leave until noon. You know how we hate getting a late start 😊!

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 745 miles (1,199 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0