Day 16: Wade, NC to Kenly, NC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2017

Day 16: Wade, NC to Kenly, NC

Today started out like yesterday, very chilly (57 degrees) and dreary. The forecast had improved to a 30% chance of morning rain, so we put on our warm gear and headed out. Actually, I put on my warm gear. Kerry decided he didn’t need his long pants. About three miles into the ride, he realized that he had made a bad decision and stopped at a convenience store to remedy that. It turned out to be a good stop because we met two local cyclists out for their Saturday ride. Kerry gave both of them our cards – got to get our Crazy Guy hit count up 😊.

Properly dressed now for 57 degrees - we saw people walking around in shorts and flip flops all morning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met two cyclists out for their Saturday morning ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drumming up Crazy Guy readers
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode through more farms and fields on quiet country roads. The crops were corn, wheat, some grain that was not wheat and lots of newly planted tobacco.

Lots of corn and wheat field today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Young tobacco plants
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old tobacco barn still in use
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some guys working a tobacco field in Falcon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well restored old Post Office, Falcon, NC
Heart 0 Comment 0
Story of Post Office
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mailbox display caught our attention
Heart 0 Comment 0

By noon, there was a little blue sky peeking out and by 2PM, we had some real sunshine. It felt great to see the sun after almost two days.

Coming into the town of Four Oaks, we saw a bike shop. We always like to stop at local bike shops just to visit, and figured they could also give a recommendation for a good place to have lunch. The owners, Susan and Jason, were very friendly and we enjoyed talking with them. They generously gave us some cool cycling bling, including LED lights for our shoes. Thank-you, guys. That was nice of you. They also recommended the Four Oaks Restaurant where we had a good lunch of Southern style vegetables.

All Out owners Susan and Jason
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks, Susan and Jason for the cycling bling.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the ride was almost warm and we were able to shed all our extra layers by the end of the day. Tomorrow, we ride to Warrenton, NC where we will have our next rest day.

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 802 miles (1,291 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0