Day 3 Steinhatchee - A Little Two Far - CycleBlaze

February 26, 2019

Day 3 Steinhatchee

Heart 0 Comment 0

Rain, rain go away!  And, it finally did.  We rode the first 23 of our 42 miles in a very chilly rain, then it quit raining, but remained chilly (by our Florida standards - about 60).  I didn't take any pictures along the way because I had my phone safely stowed to stay dry.

We had planned for our Citrus County friends, Diane and Michael, to join us riding the Nature Coast Trail today.  When I called last night to talk about the forecast for a very rainy day, I really assumed they would decide to stay home and stay dry.  But they wanted to drive up and ride with us, saying they'd pedaled and paddled in a lot worse.  So they drove the 70 miles up from Floral City and joined the four of us for the first 23 miles on the Nature Coast Trail.  It's a beautiful rail trail and usually a joy to ride.  Today the company made it fun, but Mother Nature did her best to make sure we didn't have too much fun :).  We stopped for lunch at the end of the trail in Cross City, then Diane and Michael headed back to Chiefland to their car and Ken, Francie, Kerry and I finished the 19 miles into Steinhatchee.  The rain had stopped and the final miles were much more comfortable.  

We're staying at a nice condo on the water.  I did get a couple of pictures of the view from our balcony.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was Pacific NW  weather today; not what we were expecting!  Everyone was good humored about it.

Diane, Michael, Kerry, Jeanna and Ken on the bridge over the Suwannee River.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedThat looks like so much fun!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We met a fellow cyclist on the nice bike trail: Richard Stolzberg from Juneau but whose son and nephew live in Bellingham!! Small world indeed.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are flexible travelers!  The forecast is for rain and thunderstorms all day tomorrow, so with 3 phones calls, we have changed our plans to stay in cute, out of the way  Steinhatchee another day and forego our rest day later in the week.  FG

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 476 miles (766 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0