Day 2 Chiefland - A Little Two Far - CycleBlaze

February 25, 2019

Day 2 Chiefland

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode around Cedar Key this morning and visited the local museum.  It had interesting exhibits about Cedar Key's history, particularly the harvesting of cedar trees by Eberhard Faber to make pencils.

Leaving Cedar Key, we rode north through the Lower Suwannee Wildlife Refuge.  The refuge headquarters is on the Suwannee River and there is a short trail and boardwalk down to the river.  

Path down to the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cypress knees - there are numerous theories about the function of cypress knees, but no definitive answer. There is no conclusive evidence for the popular notion that that they provide surface area for gas exchange, allowing the tree to "breathe".
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Suwannee River
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was really chilly when we started out this morning, but it warmed up into a perfect cycling day.  (Perfect, except that we rode 40 miles NE into a 12 mph NE wind after riding 20 miles yesterday SW into a 12 mph SW wind:) )  JS

Loved seeing all the ospreys making nests in Cedar Key.  One of our favorite aspects of traveling and cycling in particular is getting to learn details about different regions of our large country!  As Jeanna said, the museum was really interesting, this perfectly placed port was a center for cedar, oysters, palmetto fiber and salt until the humans depleted the cedar and oysters, the harbor proved to be too shallow for large ships and plastics replaced palmetto fiber.  Here is an old boiling pot used to recover salt from ocean water during the Civil War.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The roadside today was mostly "Bald Cypress, tall Pines and Palmetto Palms. (see below)

Boardwalk to Suwannee River at the National Wildlife Refuge Center.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Peg Hall a volunteer  at the Refuge Headquarters was very friendly and informative!

Kerry and Peg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most of the ride today was on a quiet "back road".  I need to practice my photos of "cyclists in motion"...but  here is my first attempt. FG

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 518 miles (834 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0