Sonoita- Tucson, AZ - Tucson Area Thanksgiving Tour 2020 - CycleBlaze

November 28, 2020

Sonoita- Tucson, AZ

Heart 0 Comment 0

1,017 elevation gain

We had a shared room last night and were happy to have it. We were freezing when we arrived and it took quite a while to warm up, but eventually I was too warm. Jacinto had warmed up earlier and cracked the door open for some fresh air because we didn't have a thermostat in the room. I protested at the time, but at some wee hour of the night, I was the one cracking the door open.

In the morning Hank said that was a bad idea, scorpions are tricky fellows and they like to sneak in wherever they could. That is not something we have to think about in Colorado!

Last night we set the white noise app again on the phone. We also negotiated what hour to wake up. I told Hank 8 hours after we went to sleep. We were planning on a delayed departure because of the cold. There was no reason to get up early. Hank said he usually wakes up at 5 or 6. He didn't wiggle until the white noise turned off and I said it was coffee time. Hank declared that was the best night's sleep he had had in a long time and gave the white noise credit.

I felt like we were having a slumber party with all of the chatting last night and this morning. Finally we got moving around. *I* am the only one who remembers a 9 AM departure. Hank was getting ready as if he were planning to leave at 9 AM, Jacinto was still in bed drinking coffee. But Jacinto had said we could ride together and there was more coffee in the coffee pot. He did hurry and get ready, but wasn't happy about the cold. I told him by the time we finish breakfast, it would be warm and he could have more coffee there. Jacinto still wasn't happy. It was 29 degrees when we woke up and 36 degrees when we left. We all had on tights and long fingered gloves. It was 1.7 miles down to the ice cream shop next to the post office, where the motel owner, Karen, said we could get breakfast. There were some motorcycle riders sitting outside in the cold wind. They said yes, there was real food inside. It turned out to be breakfast burritos and sandwiches. There was another restaurant down the street, the wrong direction. None of us were inclined to check it out. We all ordered burritos. I got mine in a bowl. It was good, but not enough. I ordered a second one to go and so did Hank. Jacinto already had two. He ordered a soda and not a coffee and was still grouchy. The wind was bitter cold when we left. I pulled up the hood of my jacket.

Luckily we had a climb from town and could warm up. Then it was a long downhill all the way to Tucson. The lower we went, the warmer it would be. Wind was from the east. Once we turned onto Sahuarita Road, it would be a direct tailwind.

There weren't any restrooms at the ice cream store. They lady sent Hank over to the Dollar Store. He told us to go ahead. He would catch up on the downhill because he likes to go really fast on the downhills and I go slower.

Jacinto and I rode somewhat together, both listening to music. I was happy for the climbing to warm up. There seemed to be quite a bit of traffic for Saturday. Shouldn't all of these people be enjoying the weekend and traveling on Sunday instead? We had a smooth, mostly clean shoulder. Traffic seemed to come by in bunches, stuck behind a slow motorhome. I wanted to tell all of the following cars that I wasn't the reason for the slow traffic, blame the guy in the front of the line!

I was reluctant to stop for a bathroom break, with the cold wind, but necessity made it a must. I'm sure I set speed records! For much of this trip we regularly saw purple porta potties at random spots. We took advantage of the ones we saw today. I don't remember seeing them before. Is this a COVID thing? They weren't formal rest areas, but they were frequent. It worked for us, traveling at bicycle speed. Stopping would be more difficult at automobile speed - except for those slow motorhomes. They could stop in time!

Scenery was appealing today. Mountains and cacti on both sides. I enjoyed looking around and thinking how difficult the ride was in 2017. It is a very different ride this direction!

Wind was strong from the east, but was mostly blocked with all of the bushes. We turned west at mile 22 and enjoyed a total tailwind. I was going 26 mph without pedaling at all! That was a sweet 6 miles until we took a right on South Houghton to cross under the Interstate.

Jacinto got ahead of us here. As Hank and I passed under the Interstate, we saw the start of a bike path. Sweet! Following the directions, it appeared we should go up an overpass, but the bike path went to the right. What to do? Just as we were trying to decide, Jacinto called and said to stay to the right, it would go under the interstate. I believe this is a new extension of the Julian Wash Greenway, as we hooked up to that a few miles down the road. We saw the occasional bicycle rider - almost every one with masks on, which was different from my ride on the same bike path just a week ago where riders infrequently had masks on. Perhaps 1 in 10? Today we saw 15-20 (?) riders and I think all had masks. I don't know if some mask announcement came out while we were gone? Or this is a very conscientious group?

We departed the bike path and rode on Valencia for .4 miles before crossing over and approaching the airport from the south. We are at the Hampton now, having given up on the Quality Inn. Hank and I sat outside and chatted about bicycles and changing our set ups over the years with different types of bags, etc. Jacinto rode down the street and got our van out of the park and ride.

Hank's friend, Lee, showed up to get Hank. Jacinto and I spent far too long getting the bikes in the van. I think we were hungry and not thinking straight. Finally we got the bikes in. My bike is such a problem, being so long. I'm also picky about things not rubbing or touching . . we sorted through our stuff, what would we take home and what would stay here. I'm taking my bicycle clothes home to wash - Jacinto is going to let his sit here for three weeks, dirty . . . we will be back for Christmas break. We are leaving our van parked at the RV park where Hank is staying. We are driving over there tonight to pick him up for dinner. He will drop us off after dinner and drive our van back.

Our room was $77. at the Hampton Inn. It is a zillion times nicer than the Quality Inn. Everything is very clean. They are actively remodeling at the moment, so the facility is updated. Icing on the cake is that they have a hot breakfast in the morning! Choose the Hampton to stay by the airport.

OK - we are off to pick up Hank for dinner. We are going back to the Taco Giro. I thought they had a good chili relleno and I have seldom eaten one that tasty.

I'm sad our tour is finished - it was an excellent tour on many fronts. We have a new bicycle buddy that we hope to tour with again. We will be back in December, but home basing out of an extended stay motel. It's a try at seeing how we like actually being in Tucson with an eye towards spending time here in the winter.

Thank you for following along with me. 

Look carefully in the center of the photo. Jacinto is riding down the driveway from the Xanadu Ranch Getaway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seen at the Rodeo fairgrounds in Sonoita.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the fire station in Sonoita.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of the climb! We did most of the climbing yesterday. This side was easy, maybe 300 feet of elevation gain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are on the Julian Wash Greenway, almost finished.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All three of us rode together most of the day. That rarely happens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lee has arrived to take Hank home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto’s photo. As we dropped lower in elevation, we saw more cacti.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rodriguez Bicycle. Belt drive. Rohloff hub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto was waiting for us to catch up.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 357 miles (575 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0