Tucson Mountain Park and the Saguaros - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

February 2, 2023 to February 3, 2023

Tucson Mountain Park and the Saguaros

Laying down some base miles in the neighborhood

The drive from Las Cruces to Tucson was easy and we are settling in at Desert Trails RV Park, at the southern edge of Tucson Mountain Park west of town. From our door we can ride out to more than 100 miles of hiking and biking single-track trails. There's some pretty road riding nearby too, and the famous Chuck Huckleberry Loop bike path is a 15 minute drive away.

We're sticking close to camp for the first couple days here, to ride trails one day and roads the next. Between the rides, yoga classes, jam sessions and other activities there are plenty of distractions from keeping up the blog, so I'll catch up briefly on both days.

Desert flowers blooming during our stay here last March. With all the rain here in January the flowers should be wild this year.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At least 40% of the trails are green / beginner level. The time I spent fooling around on borrowed mountain bikes here last spring convinced me I needed one of my own. Our friend Hank Holz has volunteered to show us around on the trails. We ride out on Ironwood, a green trail with enough climbing and rocky bits to challenge me, which doesn't take much.

Barry and Hank on an easy run
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry powers up the wash
Heart 2 Comment 0

I'm pretty timid out there and walk some of the twisty rocky drops . There will be plenty of time to go back for more practice on those. Any ride I finish with no damage is a win. I didn't take many pictures, just focusing on staying upright and keeping up with the guys. We may add a Go-Pro to the kit soon to capture more pictures of the scene.

After lunch I'm kind of surprised when Barry goes out for more with Hank . He's had this hardtail for years but it hasn't really been his thing. Watching him take off on another trail ride was not on my bingo card for today. I'm happy he's into it!

Thanks Hank for a fun morning on the trails!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next day before we take off on the roads Barry puts the final touch on my recently tuned-up recumbent. It still had the shabby old seat with grey duck tape over a big hole up the middle where the back tire wore through it. He's laced up a new seat mesh that I had shipped here. It looks so much better!

Ready for the new season
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ride out north on Kinney Road through Tucson Mountain Park on a hilly route that we did a few times last year. On the way we stop for a look at Old Tucson, a movie set built in 1939 for the movie "Arizona." It was reinvented as a theme park, has been closed for a few years and just reopened last week. Looks like a fun thing to do one of these days.

Stately Saguaros line the road through Tucson Mountain Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kinney Road is bumpier than I remember, a teeth-rattler on long descents.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A peak at Old Tucson from the gate
Heart 2 Comment 0

Riding past the Desert Museum we continue on to Saguaro National Park - West and continue to Hohokam Road. I was thinking we might be able to take Hohokam further up into the park but the washboard gravel surface is not appealing. Instead we spend some time checking out a nature trail by the road and admiring the Saguaros from the viewing deck at the visitor center.

On the downhill slide from the Desert Museum
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hohokam Road. If we could figure a way to carry the gravel bikes along with the others we'd be in business here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsEasy enough, just use your mountain bikes here...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nature trail in the park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saguaro forest by the visitor center
Heart 3 Comment 0
We take McCain Loop on the way back, a pretty road with less traffic than Kinney.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYup. McCain is a great road. You have the desert to yourself.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the park Hank has a jam session going with a couple of buddies, channeling Neil Young, America and all the good stuff from the 70s. Fun way to close out the day!

Heart 3 Comment 1

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 96 miles (154 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonYou are braver than I am doing the trail riding. I leave that kind of terrain for walking and hiking. Have a great time in Tucson!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago