To Sedona - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

February 16, 2023 to February 17, 2023

To Sedona

Side trip for bike school

After the overambitious yoga session of last week, we’ve been off the mountain bikes for a few days. I am signed up for an all-day womens’ mtb skills class in Sedona Saturday and wanted a good solid ride beforehand, so yesterday we got back out there and did 10 miles on the trails in Tucson Mountain Park.

Beautiful sunny day in the desert
Heart 2 Comment 0

I rode through all of the washes except one and am taking them a little faster than before. The outing was a good confidence booster for Saturday. More good news - Barry is having more fun on the trails than either of us expected. He hasn't been excited about my new hobby but has gallantly come along on his 12-year-old hardtail to keep me company. Now he's talking about a new mountain bike. 

Another outing with no damage
Heart 4 Comment 0

At Perche No for dinner last night, Hank and Brigitte were cheering Barry on. Former recumbent riders, they are both now 100% into the single track. He's getting encouragement on all sides affirming the notion to upgrade to a full-suspension bike that will be more capable on rough trails.

Great meal at Perche No with Hank and Brigitte
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're not thinking of abandoning the road; there's a long list of road tours still on our wish list, and surely others that haven't occurred to us yet. But it is fun to play on the trails for a change of pace and this is a beautiful place to do it.

So today we’re making the four-hour trip to Sedona with two mountain bikes plus Barry's recumbent. He might ride up scenic 89A north of Sedona while I'm in bike school Saturday, and we can ride some trails Sunday before circling back to Tucson. It's a dramatic landscape to drive through; the pictures don't do it justice, especially on this cloudy day.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Rather than pull up stakes and drag the trailer to Sedona, we have booked an AirBnb for a couple nights that's also a yoga and meditation retreat. I don't know that we'll take the time for either of those things but I'm extra excited about the big bathroom with a tub. 

Meditation circle at the yoga retreat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 289 miles (465 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0