Oak Creek - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

February 19, 2023

Oak Creek

New bike day

Yesterday the toddler on the floor above us at the Airbnb was thundering around at 6:30 am, but it's curiously quiet this morning. While Barry sleeps in, I head out to the living room for a little easy stretch.

On the yoga mat you find out where all the bruises are. There are some good ones on my legs, undoubtedly from falling with the bike between them yesterday. In a hot flash pique I had peeled off my elbow pads shortly before the crash so the sore right elbow was self-inflicted, totally preventable. There will be no forearm planks today, but I'm not complaining. I walked away from that first endo pretty ok.

Best yoga spot yet on this trip. Very zen.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This the kind of the thing that Barry worried about ever since I started shopping for a mountain bike, so it's funny to me that yesterday was the day he went out and bought into the sport in a big way.

Here's a look at his new full suspension bike - a 2022 Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon from Thunder Mountain. He took it out on the trails in Sedona yesterday and had a blast getting up and down some rough terrain that he wouldn't have enjoyed on the old hardtail.

Can't wait to see Barry on his handsome new mount
Heart 2 Comment 0

It's a pleasant surprise for both of us that Barry is having so much fun on the trails. He's been coming along to be sociable and has been out there enough times to see how much more fun it would be with a full-suspension bike. We're here for another month, so there's plenty of time for him to get to know this new ride. We have some time here today before the drive back to Tucson and are excited to explore more of the trails here.

After packing up and departing our lodging we take the long way out on the rest of Red Rock Loop Road that we haven't seen yet. Some roadies pass us from the other direction as we drive this beautiful route. Traffic is sparse late on this Sunday morning. it looks like an awesome road ride - note for next time.

Red Rock Loop Road, near Red Rock State Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ahh yeah, I could go for that.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From the center of town we turn south on AZ 179 towards the Village of Oak Creek. At three different trailheads along the highway we circle the lot but come up dry on a parking space. It's mid-day on a Sunday and everyone is out here with their families, dogs or bikes. Eventually we find a spot on the street in Oak Creek and ride back to the trails.

Ready to go at the Bell Rock trailhead
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Big Park Loop trail has enough moderately challenging terrain that we can both handle to make it a fun outing. There are nice long flowy sections and more technical drops, climbs and switchbacks. I’m tired from yesterday's all-day class and not up for anything too sketchy but I do manage to roll down a lot of rocky drops without grabbing my brakes, and grind up some rocky climbs that I wouldn’t have gone for two days ago.

Goodness, its gorgeous here. We definitely want to come back to Sedona, maybe mid-week next time to avoid some of the crowds. For today we keep it short at 4 miles, just a chance for Barry to try out the bike on another trail and for me to practice some of the things I learned yesterday.  

Get it!
Heart 5 Comment 3
Keith AdamsRemember: look where you *want to go*, not where you want to NOT go.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsLooking ahead is a super-power. It makes an amazing difference.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsLooking ahead is a super-power. It makes an amazing difference.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Climbing up towards Courthouse Butte
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bell Rock
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fun day in the saddle, no (new) damage
Heart 5 Comment 0

After a stop at Dellepiane in the Village of Oak Creek for their amazing burgers we head back to Tucson. I'm eager to get back on the recumbent tomorrow. We need to start ratcheting up the mileage to get in shape for the next road tour.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 300 miles (483 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful place to ride!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago