El Tour de Zona: To Ramsey Canyon - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2023

El Tour de Zona: To Ramsey Canyon

16 Wheels to Sierra Vista

Yesterday we pulled up stakes in Tucson and started a circuitous trip home, moving 80 miles east and 2300 feet higher in elevation to Sierra Vista. We're carrying two more wheels than we started out with. Barry's new mountain bike fits on top of the car with his old 0ne and mine so we're up to five bikes, a new record. I think we're maxed out.

Dwarfed by all the cargo, the Subaru is still getting the job done.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're here for El Tour de Zona, a 3-day ride and festival with live music every day and camping for RVs and tents at Veterans Memorial Park. It's  colder here than Tucson but we have three sunny days ahead of us. Last night we met up around the food trucks with Catherine, Bob and Sandy, former St. Louisans, to shiver together in the breeze.

While Barry went into town for a new tire this morning to replace the rear one that is wearing through, I walked over to hear the riders' meeting. I'm sensing a positive bike culture here as the mayor, county sheriff and chief of police who welcome us are all cyclists.

By the time we get started it's almost noon, just barely breaking 50 degrees. The other 700 or so riders have long since cleared out and the roads are deserted. Today's low-stress route is delightful. There are multi-use paths most of the way out of town and halfway up the canyon.

Huachuca Mountains in the distance
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wide bike lanes and empty roads. It's nice to see trees again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Starting a moderate 3 mile climb up Ramsey Canyon Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost at the top
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peacocks of the day near the Ramsey Canyon Preserve. They look well fed.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the foot of the Huachuca Mountains, Ramsey Canyon Preserve is a haven for wildlife, especially hummingbirds. The hiking trail by a spring-fed spring looks so inviting.

This looks like a lovely hike
Heart 2 Comment 0

I like the ride plan for today. There's a longer more gradual trip up to the canyon and a fast short ride back to the start. Most of the return is on the serene Cochise Vista Trail that runs well away from any roads.

The chilly mountain stream running over the road splashed right through my mesh seat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiet trail along a wash
Heart 1 Comment 0

Live music is part of what attracted us to this event. The annual Pedalers Jamboree on the Katy Trail featuring original indie bands every 10 miles or so is one of my favorite bike events. We're feeling more curmudgeonly about it here as the cover band rages on until 9 pm. It gets old, and inescapable from our spot in the RV parking area 100 yards away. Earplugs take the edge off but it's hard to block out the Latin band playing-that-funky-music-white-boy. Really missing our serene spot in the desert of the last couple months. Oh well, we're mainly here for the ride.

Pro tip: we figured out later that the music was less intrusive in much of the rest of the RV parking area. Our spot was pretty much on the shortest straight line to the band shell. 

A few kids dance to the cover band du jour while most of the adults huddle in our RVs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 863 miles (1,389 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltGood memories of Ramsey Canyon! Spring 1968 taking mammalogy at ASU, during spring break my buddy who was also taking it at Humboldt State drove down and we trapped small mammals (mouse & rat species) there for our required collections. It was a bit more wild in those days!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou sure have an interesting history!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago