Chiricahua National Monument - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2023

Chiricahua National Monument

Hiking around the towers in Echo Canyon

The Pinnacle Balanced Rock sticker on our RV fridge is a reminder of the jaw-dropping scenic drive we took through Chiricahua National Monument  last year. Just 80 miles east of our Sierra Vista base for the last three days, it's headed in the right direction towards home.

Last night we scored the last open campsite in Bonita Canyon Campground, so we're set for a deeper dive today in the place the Chiricahua Apache called the Land of Standing Up Rocks.

Inspiration
Heart 0 Comment 0

I never pass up a national park visitor center and this one is as good as any we've been to. An excellent film and collection of exhibits tell the story of the geologic history of this area, the Chiricahua Apache people who lived here as early as the 1400s and violently resisted Spanish and American settlement, and their forcible removal by the U.S. Army after the surrender of Geronimo in 1886.

Swedish immigrants Neil and Emma Erickson settled here two years later.Their daughter Lillian and her husband Ed Riggs turned the Erickson homestead into a guest ranch in the 1920s. Ed’s promotion of the "Wonderland of Rocks” led to the establishment of Chiricahua National Monument, and he supervised the construction of the trails by the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps.

The Faraway Ranch Historic District is preserved near the entrance to the park. Lillian Riggs managed the operation while her husband Ed Riggs supervised the development of the national monument.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI really like that place. Never had time to spend more than a few hours there though. I most recently visited after attending the Biology of Lizards conference at the Chiricahua Desert Museum down the hill just over the NM border, another great place to visit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe saw a couple lizards on the hike Bill. They're speedy little creatures. I'd have to take a pass on the snake display on the Desert Museum though. Too much childhood trauma from watching Jim wrestling the anaconda in the swamp on Wild Kingdom.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0


We learn from the park ranger that the loop hike to the famous Pinnacle Balanced Rock pictured on our refrigerator is nine miles long. In the rough terrain here that would be nearly an all day affair for us and there's still a four hour drive ahead to our next stop.  The ranger suggests the 3.5 mile Echo Canyon Loop, assuring us that we won't be disappointed with the abundance of rock formations to see there. 

He's right. As we descend the rocky trail, we're enthralled by the volcanic rhyolite rocks that tower above us. The forces of erosion have sculpted them into spires, hoodoos and balanced rocks, some that look precarious.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The drop into the canyon is steep and rugged. Once again I'm glad we brought the good boots and trekking poles.

We can't resist the impulse to test the echo in the canyon, and get back a satisfying response to our whoops and hollers. As we continue down to the creek crossing, the music of bird songs and the gurgling stream add an enchanting vibe to this magical place.

Helloooooo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hopping the rocks across the creek
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the challenging hike down to the creek, the return back up on the Ed Riggs Trail is not as steep and technical, and the scene is still compelling. We stopped to take many more pictures than I've posted here. It's worth the trip if you're in the area. Next time we'll have to plan enough time to take on that nine-miler to the marquee Pinnacle Balanced Rock.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near the end of the loop we passed these handsome beasts. Sure-footed as they may be, I wouldn't want to ride one down that trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coatimundi sighting on the drive back down. I'm not sure if the fuzzy focus is user error or a problem with the Lumix camera. Guess I'll have to dig deeper into the manual.
Heart 2 Comment 0



Coue's White-tail Deer in the grasslands on our way out of the park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 miles (5 km)
Total: 966 miles (1,555 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago