How Hot Was it? - Grampies Yucatan Return: Winter 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2023

How Hot Was it?

Even though we went South to escape cold and snow that was keeping us from cycling in the North, the heat in Yucatan was itself an impediment that we had to cope with. Dodie in particular wilts when it gets over 30 degrees, and this happens no matter how much water we have on hand.

As it happens, we landed up cycling in over 30 degree heat in all but four of thirty two cycling days.

To deal with this, we began setting out before dawn, when we could usually expect a temperature of about 15 to 18. When the sun came up, the temperature would rise quickly, but by the time it went over 30, we would usually be close to done for the day. At that point we would begin pouring water over our heads, as well as drinking it. We kept unpurified water for our heads, so as not to waste the good stuff.

Almost every day it went over 30. But we could start out much cooler, usually at about 15 to 18. For a couple of days, we started at under 10, really chilly! That still did not stop it going near or over 30 on those days!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith Adams50°C is 127°F! Oh. My. Gawd. That's quite likely to be lethal. Glad it proved otherwise.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith AdamsThis was the temperature on the road,with the ambient temperature above 30 and the reflected heat from the road surface it was quite brutal. This was the main reason for our 4 am wakeup, 5 am starts. To get off the roads before mid to late morning.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Adjusting to daily cold and hot is a challenge. The average daily variation while we were on the road was about 15 degrees. On one day, though, it started at 18 and went to 49, and on another day from 14 to 45! Those are daily variations of over 30 degrees! Usually we expect this kind of swing in a desert, but yes, we had it here in the "jungle".

This chart shows the difference between our starting and ending temperatures for each day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we got to our destination, this time around there was always air conditioning. It would not take too  long in the cool air, or in the pool if there was one, to revive Dodie.  And in the cooler evening, everyone would come out to frolic in the park. Overall, high temperatures turned out to be manageable.

This ends our last topic for this trip. It was really fun and we'll plan to go back!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltNice trip! Eagerly awaiting your summer adventures.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill, we really appreciated your particiapation with the Yucatan birds and plants! By the way, Keith Adams has just completed a sojourn in Hawaii and spotted all sorts of birds. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/offseason2022/

The cardinals he found are really cool - they look like they belong in the Vatican.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Douglas LotenWe enjoyed your Yucatán adventures and it was great to spend a little time with you in Uaymitun! Looking forward to your next trip!

Doug & Elaine
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Douglas LotenDid you ever come up with a language school recommendation? We are still interested in the idea.

Hey, check this - we are leaving in ten days for Porto to Barcelona, over 75 days. We won't even try to learn much Portugese, but then there is Spain!

We were in our local supermarket buying supplies to make a poc chuc dinner, and we were naming each ingredient, like the cebolla, ajo, naranja, tomate, etc. When we came to pink grapefruit, I said toronja, because I remembered that from a fruit store in Tulum, but my phone claimed pomelo. Could this be a Mexico vs Spain difference?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago