Followup on Guff from CATSA - Grampies Yucatan Return: Winter 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 10, 2023

Followup on Guff from CATSA

CATSA ia the Canadian Air Tranport Security Authority. Like their U.S. equivalent, the TSA, they have the power to stop or ruin a bike tour. They could do this by confiscating tools or equipment, or making you miss a flight while they, for instance, figure out that you legitimately have some metal body parts, or are unable to jump up onto their ultra paranoid shoe scanner. At the very least, they can have you spread your gear out onto multiple trays, and then mix those trays randomly with the trays of other travelers, or divert some for further study, making it hard to know if you actually got all your stuff back at the other end.

Normally this is annoying but not a major problem. But on the way back from Yucatan it was, as they refused to pass through our properly packed and within the regulations LiGo bike batteries.  I used the word "guff" when first writing about what they said, and guff is technically "trivial or foolish talk or ideas". But really "power tripping" is probably more appropriate, and that's why we took the  matter through the CATSA complaints process.

CATSA, it must be said, quickly reviewed the video of the situation, and they have now come back saying this:

"We regret that the screening supervisor you dealt with did not meet your customer service expectations. We have secured video footage to identify the situation. CATSA has identified the personnel involved. Please be assured that we take these complaints seriously and have shared your concerns with our local management in Vancouver who have since followed up accordingly.

Secondly, on the day of your travel, the screening officer should have permitted the electric bicycle batteries during your initial screening.  Upon review, it appears that the batteries were properly packaged and should have been permitted in your carry-on as per the Lithium Ion Battery carry-on restrictions."

This of course does not retrieve for us our lost hour and half, nor retroactively lower our blood pressure, but heh, it's something!

And it does give us renewed confidence in travelling with the assisted Bike Fridays. So, cool.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Bill ShaneyfeltGood to get a positive response. The next similar traveler will not have such problems. Good on you for recording and reporting! Without the recording, it would have been the old "he said, she said" argument to oblivion. When it is properly documented, they cannot ignore it without adverse consequences. In my Quality Assurance days, they always said "No documentation, it didn't happen."

Fixed a broken spot in the system!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellExcellent … good to see. Part of our “packaging” is a printout from the airlines website inside the plastic bag holding the battery, with highlights.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThe credit for recording the thing goes to CATSA, who have cameras all over the security area. I think had I been filming they would have freaked, on the fear that I could capture weaknesses in their security setup.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsGood final outcome.

I like the notion of having the relevant and applicable documents highlighted and packed with potentially problematic or contentious items.

There will always be uninformed or supercilious petty officials who insist on demonstrating their absolute power ove those with no alternative but to comply, but anything you can do preemptively to strengthen your hand while undermining theirs is a good starting tactic.

Let's hope the official in this case recognizes his error, or the futility of a pyrrhic victory. If his attitude persists and there are additional complaints, perhaps his superiors will have the evidence needed for meaningful corrective / disciplinary actions.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenI would print and take CATSA’s email with you when you travel as well. Looking forward to seeing you on Monday.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekThat's amazing! I'm trying to imagine taking a legit complaint like this one to the TSA (the US equivalent) and getting a similar response.... Nope, wouldn't happen.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ron SuchanekWe truly expected to be brushed off with feeble excuses, and were indeed both surprised and delighted to actually be vindicated.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago