We have changed our route to Prague - we're taking the Dutch route! - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2014

We have changed our route to Prague - we're taking the Dutch route!

Camping am See has given us a wonderful introduction to Czech Republic. We would highly recommend this campground. We have made connections with people and once again, our unusual bike and Canadian flag have broken the ice for us.

Jan from Holland was also camping at Camping am See. We have seen mostly people from the Netherlands here as well as a few German travellers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Dutch couple (with their Tab trailer)are Gerard's neighbour in Holland. It was a chance meeting for them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night, Barry came in to the tent after watching the World Cup in the TV room at our campground. He was most excited. He had just met a cyclist who is riding to Prague...and the best thing is, he is riding the "Dutch Route" that we have heard so much about but have had trouble finding out about it. The cyclist is Gerard from the Netherlands and he is cycling from Amsterdam to Prague. Gerard kindly spent time with us this morning and loaded his track to Prague on our Garmin - we feel like we have hit the jackpot...and he is going to ride with us today so that we find the way and learn about the GPS.

What do cycle travellers do when they have a break? They research the route and read maps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerard and Barry ready to go. It was beautiful but always windy at this campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was spectacular - unrelentingly hilly yes, but on quiet roads through beautiful countryside. We usually are on our own, so this was a treat to spend the day with a like minded cycle tourist.

Gerard, our travelling companion and GPS teacher for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This "magic" sticker is what a cyclist watches for along the route - the arrow and "Fis Praag" tell you where to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quiet, hilly road in Czech Republic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cows in Czech appreciate our bike bell - they were most interested in us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped to admire a half timbered house with unusual blue accents on the timbers. The owner was feeding the fish in her pond with loaves of bread and came over to chat with us. She explained that the blue colour and painted floral accents are typical to this region. As well, she told us that the home is over 300 years old and its present condition is the result of a ten year rebuild and renovation. They will be renting rooms to tourists, but are just in the beginning stages. We were invited in for a tour, a coffee and a visit. She was surprised to hear that her location is prime for cyclists as it is on the Dutch route to Prague. We wish her much success and perhaps we'll stay there one day. It was a pleasant and unexpected diversion giving us an insight in to what a traditional Czech home is like.

This region of Czech Republic is known for the blue accents and paintings of flowers on the half timbered buildings. This home is over 300 years old and they are building a new open walled building to host events.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped to admire this beautiful place and the owner invited us in to see the house. They are renting this to tourists and it is early days in their business. She and her husband have been renovating the home for over 10 years - an amazing transformation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the bedrooms - original beams. She explained to us that 10 years ago, the building was in ruins with air coming through the cracks in the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They are renovating with modern touches that compliment the original elements that they are preserving. An example is this exquisite new wood burning stove/heater. I would love to have this kitchen! She will cater meals or it is also available for the guests to use themselves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An ambitious project.
Heart 0 Comment 0
She treated us to a cup of coffee and we are chatting about the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch at a cafe was very good. Food here is tasty and so inexpensive.

We stopped at this cafe for lunch - Mary Ellen and Gerard enjoying a most welcome cold beer after the hilly and hot ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had chicken - meal plus beer - 4 euros. Excellent food and service in this small roadside cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen's lunch - mushroom omelette, yummy potatoes and salad garnish - very tasty and only 3 euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cafe where we ate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On to Marianske Lanza to a campground in the country on the outskirts of town, Camping Stanowitz. This low key campground offers camping in a grassy field with a lovely view of the surrounding countryside.

Ironically we were a bit lost looking for our campground on our way out of Marianske Lanze when we met this fellow from Google maps. We asked him for directions and he had no idea. He had lived in Canada for 5 years.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camping here was ideal. Helpful owners (with 2 great cats), a local group playing folk/bluegrass music and in a rural setting with a view down the hill to Marianske Lanze.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerard has ridden the Santiago Pilgrim route on his bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am writing this in the campground's restaurant enjoying live music on a Saturday evening in the Czech Republic.
A wonderful day.

One of the musicians in the camp restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The folksy and charming camp restaurant with the musicians sitting around a table performing - a wonderful evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping at Stanowitz with Gerard, enjoying the view and a rest from our bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at camp by sunset.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 723 km (449 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0