Day 76 Peterborough NH to Windham NH - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2023

Day 76 Peterborough NH to Windham NH

It was real chilly when we got up this morning. The motel didn’t have breakfast until 7:00 but we were out a little after 6:30. We rode a couple of miles and stopped for bagels and muffins at Dunkin’s. The temperature on the Dunkin’s sign said 46°. Brrrrrr. When we left and headed right up a hill I could see Hub’s breath when he breathed out. Not ready for the cold. I knew we had a big hill coming as we used to hike Mt Manadock. I was not looking forward to it. We did have a 3 mile climb and the further up we went we had to get off and push. We would hop back on the bikes and ride a bit and then push a bit. When we were almost to the top I saw a sign that said, Pack Monadock, Miller State Park. Hmmmmmm, what does that mean? Are we near Mt Monadock? When I got to the top and saw on that sign, road to the summit I got excited. Yes, we just climbed the Mt Monadock hill. Yay!!! Downhill for for the next couple of miles. It was still chilly especially when we were out of the sun. When we got to Wilmot we found a little cafe and decided to stop in. When we were seated we looked around and Hubs noticed not one person had any food and their were quite a few people in there. We decided to leave and maybe find something in Milford. I couldn’t believe the traffic on route 101 as years ago there wasn’t hardly any. We got into Milford, found a place to get some breakfast. We ate outside and up comes this guy on his bike and says he recognized our outfits. He had done a bike tour years ago with a women to see if they were compatible to get married. By the time they hit Texas, they knew that they would not get married but continued the journey. He did marry someone else but she is not interested in riding. The way he talked it did not sound like he was happily married. His name is Lee and hopefully he will just get back out there on short trips by himself. After breakfast off we went and the traffic kept getting busier, especially when we got into Nashua. We pedaled on and finally got to Sharon & Dennis’ house. It is so good to see them again. We have been friends for 48 years. How time flies. Tomorrow we head to Ipswich MA to see other friends. It will be good to have a few days of rest. Hopefully it will help with Hub’s knee. 

This is Lee. He is the only picture I was able to get today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 420 miles (676 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Phil/Ann DettwilerSo glad you will take a break with friends! Soak it up and Gary should ice and give his knees a rest. Listen to the music teacher! Surely she must know. 😌 An IPA might help, too. 😉
Relax and enjoy this time! A&P
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
John PescatoreBack in the 80s I did a solo motorcycle tour of New England. My first stop from Maryland was Mt. Monadnock and camping at Miller State Park - where I lucked into a ranger-led "sunset to moon rise" hike to the summit. They gave out flashlights and we watched the sunset to the west, hiked up to the summit and watched the moon (in my memory, a full moon) rise in the east. Very cool place.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Lois AlexanderThat must have been awesome. Those are the things that are so memorable and even more so when you happen upon them.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago