Day 70 Weedsport NY to Canasota NY - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2023

Day 70 Weedsport NY to Canasota NY

Today it was 71° when we got up. When we headed out we were on the road for about 4 1/2 miles before the trail cut into the woods. It was limestone and still wet from the rain yesterday but we were able to roll along pretty well. We went about 13 miles and seeing there were some picnic tables we decided to stop to eat our muffins. A guy drove in and got  his bike off his car. He started talking to us and we were talking about our trip and Hubs was asking about the trail. He started describing what we would be biking. He mentioned a long ramp we would be going up before we got to Schenectady and that we would be going by the NY State Fair. While we were going up this ramp I kept seeing these small things on the road that looked like snails. Sure enough, I stopped and took a picture of one. Don’t know where they came from but sure hope they make it where they are going and not get run over. Luckily it was around 8:30 so we probably wouldn’t be seeing tons of people as he thought the fair might open at 9 or 10 o’clock. When we did go by the traffic was a bit heavy but there weren’t many people out. We came to a stop light and noticed two policemen directing the traffic. Our light seemed to stay red forever and even though the cars on the right would stop ( I assumed their light turned red) the cops kept them going. We seemed to be there forever. Well we finally got to go and we had to turn left right up this hill. Even in granny gear we were pedaling real hard to make it. Cars kept going by us and when we were almost to the top we noticed it was an on ramp for the New York Thruway. Then we noticed the trail sign and it had us take a sharp right turn.  Now we were on nice new pavement and we were heading down again. Lo and behold it brought us right back to those stop lights we were sitting at! We could of just crossed the road at the lights and skipped the hill. From there on it was beautiful riding.  We went by an area where people were fishing and we thought this one guy got a big one but it turned out to be seaweed. We had to go over this beautiful bridge. It looked brand new and again the trail was paved nicely. We stopped to enjoy a protein bar on the benches on the bridge so of course a selfie was due. When we finally made it into Syracuse , you wouldn’t have known as they had bike lanes off of the main road. We met this small group of bikers and stopped to chat. One couple just retired and their dream is to do a trip like ours. I sure hope they get the chance. We leaped frogged with them for some time. Even though the whole time we were on the Empire State Trail, it was on the roads. We did get back on the bike trail through Schenectady but it had its own lanes and I felt like we were in Holland as they also had their own stop lights just  for bikes and cars needed to yield to the bikers. We seemed to hit every light green as we rode through. Syracuse is bigger then we thought but it was fun biking. We did end up back on the cinder trails and along the canal. 

This is Terry. He was telling us how we would be going today through Schenectady. He was a real chatter box
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picture down the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the snails on the trails.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably a grove snail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cepaea_nemoralis
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Bill ShaneyfeltTheir shells were very pretty.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Great area where people were fishing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the solar panels for the lights along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ramp up the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge itself
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike enjoying a break on the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selfie on the bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
The group we kept leap frogging with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the water towers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liked this one
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom & Diane. Enjoyed chatting with them
Heart 0 Comment 0
If there is a brewery he will come!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Joyce, the owner. Sure hope things turn around for them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If in Canasota NY stop in for a great beer
Heart 0 Comment 0

I really enjoyed todays ride. We stopped at some point to maybe see a museum where we met this couple who I guess had passed us on their e-bikes. The guy was very impressed with what we were doing. He said he had to switch to an e-bike because of his knee. We stayed and chatted with them for awhile. Another guy came by with his bike that he had blown the tire and we all were trying to help him find a bike store but the closest one was 7 miles away. Hopefully he didn’t have to walk it. Off we went and a bit later who passes us but the couple Tom & Diane. When we got into Canasota we saw them taking a break at a picnic table. So I yelled that it must be so hard to ride those bikes that they needed to rest. 😀. We made it to the motel, got laundry done and then walked to town for dinner. We did see a small Brewery so of course we had to go in. It was closing in 15 minutes but the woman who owns it (Joyce) said it was okay. Hubs had an IPA that he said was the best one so far. We were the only ones in there. Hmmmmm, it’s a Saturday night. Shouldn’t it be busy??? Joyce said things went down hill when Covid hit. Hubs asked if she thinks she will make it and she is not sure. Let’s hope it does. The town is small so who knows. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant and it was pretty good. Again, not busy. After we went to deli across the street to get sandwiches for tomorrow. What a neat little place that was. They had a lot more stuff than we expected. Tomorrow we head Little Falls NY. 

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 717 miles (1,154 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Phil/Ann DettwilerAnother beautiful ride….with a beer at the end …. And Mexican food! What could be better! Love your photos!
Sitting on our screen porch with a blanket (late August!) and love that as well! 🖐🏻 😉

A& P
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Debbie ColeCanastota..my home town.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderWonder if we went by your house
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Debbie ColeTo Lois AlexanderLois, we lived in nine different places in Canastota. Renting with six kids can be tough. Especially when your mom doesn’t pay the bills :-) long ago far far away, so yes, you probably passed one of my houses. Ha ha ha ha ha
Reply to this comment
8 months ago