Day 68 Brockport NY to Macedon NY - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2023

Day 68 Brockport NY to Macedon NY

The four of us heading out this morning for our ride on the Erie Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Lockport before we got on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice to know they have free bikes for people to use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a look down the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the color of this bridge we had to cross
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this boat
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just a view across the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think his name is Steve. He told us where the P.O. And bank were in town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a snack break we needed a picture
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Paul. He is riding and camping the canal. He tried to help Hubs with his GPS
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Jonathan and Setki. They were interested in our trip
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another selfie
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the guy we met at REI
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy was the one that was amazed about us and our trip. He wanted our picture so we wanted a picture of him too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picture down the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bridge we watched go up and down for the boats to pass through
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our rewards for a good days ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today when we got up it was 64° out. Instead of two leaving the motel, there were four of us. Jim & Jean were excited about biking on the Erie Canal. We had to ride a couple of miles to get there but had to stop at Tim Horton’s first. As we rode through town there was a sign saying the bridge was out but luckily there was another one not far that we could cross. It was a cool overcast day but was perfect for biking. This section we rode today had many sites to see. I did need to find a post office and a bank. When we were coming to one town we stopped so Jim and I could take pictures of this boat. Hubs started talking to this guy and he was able to tell us where the post office and bank were. I can’t remember his name but off Hubs and I went. Jim & Jean said they would wait on the path. When I got to the bank they weren’t open yet but I asked through the glass if I could just have 2 check registers and they were kind enough to give them to me. Got my stamp at the post office, mailed the card and off we went. Jim was waiting patiently on a bench. We rode by this rusted out old barge and I thought what great housing it would make. At one point we stopped for a snack and had to have a foursome selfie. While there we met a few people. First was Paul who was just doing the canal ride. He actually also tried to help Hubs with the problem he was having with the GPS. Then came Jonathon and his wife Sekti. They were asking about our journey and after awhile they told us to have a safe trip and walked on, only for them to come back and ask about our blog. We finally got back to riding and I kept taking more pictures. Had to get us in another one too. 🙂. As we were riding along we came to a big REI store so Hubs and I went in to get our favorite protein bars. When I came out this guy pulled up to talk to us and find out where we were going and where did we come from. We asked him about restaurants that we might be able to get lunch. He said Pittsford had some and his town of Fairport was good also. Before we got into Pittsford, we stopped to watch 2 boats going through one of the locks. It’s amazing how much water they take out to get them on there way. So interesting. When we got to Pittsford we decided to eat there.  Before we went into the restaurant this older guy came up and was interested in our trip and when we were leaving the restaurant he came out to talk again and get our picture. This is awful as I can’t remember his name either. There were just to many people that we talked to today. When we got to Fairford, it was ice cream time. While eating our ice cream we got to see one of the bridges raised and lowered for boats to pass through. We finally got to Macedon and it was getting close to 4:00. This is later than normal so we were anxious to get into our  room. Well, for some reason Hubs debit card wasn’t going through and when the lady tried mine it didn’t go through either. I called the bank and was told the cards were good and it must be their machine. Some guy that works at the motel says they have another guy that has the same problem every time he comes in. I was getting very testy and the lady was irritating me. She said she needed to call the GM but was pussy footing around when I finally told her to call the guy. She was not going to give us the keys to the room. Long story short, it turns out the room was already paid for. She was just trying to run 10.00 for incidentals. Good thing I didn’t know that first. After we got in the rooms, we dropped our stuff and the  four of us walked to dinner. It was very good and so were the drinks. Tomorrow the 4 of us will ride for a few hours and then we have to say goodbye to Jim & Jean. They will be heading back to MA and we won’t see them again until we get to MA. It would have been great if we all could have rode longer but we enjoyed them while they were here. They really enjoyed the ride today. Tomorrow we head to Weedsport NY.

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 813 miles (1,308 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Phil/Ann DettwilerAnother wonderful day of riding for you! As I read your blog I was dining Erie Canal as it was a mainstay in the 5th grade music classes; loved talking about it and how it was made, etc. The really big deal, however, was the ‘sculpture’ at Lockport — certainly you noticed the two “eagles” (blue and red)! Those people know strength!

As always your choice of photos is just wonderful! Such an adventure! And we are sitting in 99 degree temps living vicariously with your terrific writings and pics!

Thought I should share the 4-year olds also showed me the Eagle several times as we sang and did fingerplays—they were just unaware. 😉 such fun was had!! 🎶
A & P
Reply to this comment
8 months ago