Day 67 Lockport NY to Brockport NY - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2023

Day 67 Lockport NY to Brockport NY

These were right at the beginning of the canal in Lockport NY
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved this
Heart 1 Comment 0
I also love bridges
Heart 2 Comment 0
An old paddle boat
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the bridges along the canal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Awesome sign
Heart 1 Comment 0
These things will come down and block the water but don’t know why they would do it.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingFlood mitigation perhaps?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Mike AylingI thought of that but wouldn’t it still rise with them down?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Just a falling down building
Heart 0 Comment 0
The building next door
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map of the trails
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Big Apple for all the fruit growers
Heart 0 Comment 0
The waterfall we stopped at
Heart 2 Comment 0
Selfie time
Heart 5 Comment 0
Liked the building
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bikers Matt and Mike going from Medina to Albany
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs giving the “eagle” at Eagle Harbour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Northernmost point of the Erie Canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boat barges you can rent
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking the detour as they are fixing the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge they are working on
Heart 0 Comment 0
The eagle just hanging lut
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where we stopped to eat our sandwiches
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guy who didn’t want to give his name
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drinks all around
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our Great friends, Jim & Jean who will be biking with us for the next 2 days. They are from Ipswich MA.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Nancy & Bruce AlexanderI worked in Macedon at Mobil Chemical, and lived in Canandaigua! Wave when you go by! Bruce and I lived in Webster, we love the Canal path - used to run on it a couple times a week (back when the knees were healthy)!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

When we got up this morning I put on the tv to see the weather. They were predicting rain for the next 3 days. It wasn’t supposed to be raining when we headed out but we were supposed to get rain around 9:00 and then stop and return around 2:00. We rode about 3 miles until we hit the Erie Canal. It was a short very steep hill down to the bike path and then once we were on it, it was flat. We have biked the canal years ago but, friends of ours from Ipswich MA wanted to meet us and bike it for a couple of days. They would meet us in Brockport. I took a few pictures at the beginning and then we were off. It’s a nice ride but really not much to see for periods of time. The canal was dug by hand with pick axes and shovels. It took 8years to complete. Today it is used mainly for recreational watercraft. So the weathermen were right and around 9 it started to lightly rain. We were not taking any chances so we stopped and put on our rain gear. Luckily it never rained hard and soon we took off our rain pants and not much longer after our jackets. We stopped at one point and got off the trail to get sandwiches made for our lunch. We stopped to see the waterfall and have a snack when 3 bikers with panniers came by. The woman just kept right on pedaling but the men stopped and chatted. Matt and Mike. Mike is from Atlanta GA and Matt is from VA. All 3 are related some how and started the trail in Medina and are ending in Albany. Then they will take Amtrak back. Hmmmm, did someone mention a train??? I like trains 🚂. Mike went ahead to catch up with the woman (we never got her name) but Matt rode with us for awhile. He is a Deacon in the Catholic Church in VA. He finally had to go ahead and meet his family. We came to a town called Eagles Landing and Hubs had to make Ann proud so he gave the “eagle” just for her. When I saw the sign for the Northernmost Point on the Erie Canal, I needed a picture. We saw lots of people either walking or biking on it today. I love when people are out and about and knowing the trail is used. A few bike barges went by us today and when I looked them up, you can actually rent them and captain them yourselves. We did come to a detour on the trail as they were rehabbing a bridge. It is nice to know that they keep up with maintenance along the way and on the bridges. Then we saw the real thing! An eagle perched way up on the top of the tree, sitting proudly. We found a picnic table by the Huberton bridge and decided to have our lunch. As we were leaving this guy came by on his bike so I asked him if there  was a place to get an ice cream in town. He said yes but it didn’t open until 2:00. It was only 1:20. He talked with Hubs a bit so I took his picture and asked his first name but he says he doesn’t do anything with the internet so I never got his name. We made it to the hotel before Jim and Jean so I was able to take a shower and get our dirty clothes in the wash. They got here just as the clothes were done washing. Whilethey dried we caught up on things and then Jean and Hubs planned tomorrow. We then went to a brewery for beers, wine and dinner. Tomorrow we head to Macedon NY.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 858 miles (1,381 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Phil/Ann DettwilerYou did me proud today, Gary! It was a firm and yet dignified Eagle. Glad you haven’t forgotten: powerful. How exciting to see a real one sitting atop that tree! Enjoy your 2days with friends and stay cool. Apparently we hit 100 today: real temp; heat index worse. Plants are not appreciating it and neither are we. Tomorrow we go to Milwaukee, WI so I can sing with the kiddos in our grandson’s 4K class. Doing a little Bob Marley and maracas! No discussion about birds or eagles tomorrow. …. Altho I will be doing 3 Littke Birds….in Gary’s honor, I guess! Woohoo!
A&P
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Phil/Ann DettwilerWe have been very lucky with the weather. 🤞🤞🤞 that it stays that way. Have a fabulous time with the grandkids. I am sure the singing will be wonderful by all. 🥰
Reply to this comment
8 months ago