Day 66 Jordan Ontario Canada to Lockport NY - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2023

Day 66 Jordan Ontario Canada to Lockport NY

 I happened to wake up @ 4:00 this morning and could not go back to sleep. Hubs was up @ 4:30. By 5:00 we were starving so we ate our muffins. The temperature was 61° so  I did step out of our room to see how the air felt when I noticed sunrise and had to get a picture. It is a nice time to get on the bike and go as it is so peaceful. As we rode along we came by this pretty neat flower made of solar panels. Hubs thinks it may even be able to close up. We also went by this rolling river. Of course it looks better in person than in the picture. We did come to a Tim Hortons and had to stop as it was 8:30 and we were hungry again and besides we weren’t sure if this would be the last Tim Hortons seeing we were coming back into the states today.  This guy, Drew stopped to talk to us and said he knew we were going cross country by looking at our bikes. We told him we would be missing the Tim Hortons and he said well, you will have Dunkin’ Donuts. How he knew that I don’t know. After we left there, we came to a beer store but we couldn’t go in to check it out as it was too early in the morning and the store wasn’t open. I wonder how many IPA’s there were in there that Hubs would drool over. We rode by  Bass Pro Shop and decide to stop and pick up some more freeze dried meals just to have but the store wouldn’t open for 15 minutes. We sat outside and some guy came by and told us how glad he was that we were on bikes that were very visible by the colors of our bags and on us plus we have rear lights. He said he can’t believe how many bikers ride at night with dark clothes and no lights. We went in and got some food and I bought myself a shirt. Then off again. We finally got to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side and could not believe how Honky Tonk the town is. There was traffic and people everywhere. We really had to pay attention to what we were doing. We had to ride down a good hill and then took a left when Hubs realized we missed a turn. We saw some police and asked for help on how to get up to the bridge that we needed to go over. Well, we had to go back but at ,East not up the hill but take a right at the bottom of the hill. When we got to the bridge I did notice they had a walkway and said we probably need to get the bikes on that. The cars were backed way up on the bridge. Once we got the bikes on the sidewalk we needed to go through a building. Well it had a turnstile so we couldn’t get the bikes through. We got back with the cars and started again. So then I thought if we go back to the building, I would go in and through the turnstile and then open the exit door so Hubs could bring the bikes through. I didn’t get that far as a border patrol guy came out and asked me what I was doing. I told him I wanted to get the bikes in the building he was in and he told me that bikes go with the cars. So we had to turn around again and go with the traffic. As we walked across we could see the falls and they seemed so small compared to other times we have seen them. I noticed we could walk the bikes between the cars  so that is what we did. When it was our turn finally, I couldn’t believe how nice the guy was. He was laughing with us and everything. Going into Canada they were so stiff. So we were finally back in the States and what a difference the scenery was from when we were in Canada. There was litter everywhere and it was so different than the beauty of Canada. We stopped for lunch and then still had about 15 miles to go to our motel. We found a farm market and stopped for some fruit and met another touring biker. He lives in NYC but was riding from Albany to Buffalo. His name is Gareth. He has never done a real long tour but who knows maybe some day. Tomorrow we head to Brockport where our friends Jim & Jean will meet us so they can bike 2 days of the Erie Canal. 

The sunrise right before we left Jordan Ontario
Heart 2 Comment 0
A solar flower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A river we rode by
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Drew. Just by seeing our bikes outside Tim Hortons he knew we were going cross country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved the door handles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Would of loved to go into the store to see how many different beers they have but it wasn’t open yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at the Bass Pro Shop to get some freeze dried food as we know we will be camping again at some point
Heart 0 Comment 0
Us waiting in line to go through customs and back into the States
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pretty flowers outside the restaurant we had lunch at
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Gareth, who is doing a short bike tour. We met him at the farm market
Heart 1 Comment 0
I won’t ride over grated bridges and Hubs will so he got to catch me walking the bike across the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 903 miles (1,453 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0