Day 58 Roscommon MI to Clare MI - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2023

Day 58 Roscommon MI to Clare MI

It was only 51° degrees when we left this morning. We think it will always be chilly every morning from now on. Today was my Birthday Ride. Hubs figured we had to ride 18 miles before we would find a place to get breakfast. The roads and shoulders were nice and when we got into town after 19 miles there wasn’t anywhere to get a sit down breakfast so we had to go to Mcdonalds. It worked out well as the market didn’t open until 9:00 and by the time we left Mcdonalds it was 9:00. We had some sandwiches made and got 2 cookies. Off we went . We did most of our riding on old route 27. It

Duck crossing but we didn’t see any
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hub’s shadow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Birthday Cookie break
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bonnie AlexanderHappy birthday cookie to you!
Happy birthday cookie to you!
Happy birthday cookie to mom!
Happy birthday cookie to you!
🥰🍪🥰🍪🥰🍪🥰🍪🥰🍪🥰
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderThank you 💜🙂
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The river we stopped at
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huey Helicopters from the Viet Nam war
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is Gabriel. A real nice kid who told us all about the helicopters
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gabriel and his boss Dan (who is also his brother in law)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Had to take the picture for Ann even though we felt Hubs couldn’t give the eagle in front of the eaglets
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our bikes waiting patiently for us
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved this sculpture in front of a florist
Heart 3 Comment 0
Clare water tower and a barn. Two of my favorites.
Heart 0 Comment 0

really was a beautiful day to be out on the bike. They did predict a chance of showers but we just had over cast and then some sun. I have seen many crossing signs for all kinds of animals but never for ducks. At another stop I loved the shadow look and had to get a picture. We decided to stop and have a birthday cookie break. It was good. As the day went on we noticed these helicopter bodies and had to stop. Gabriel came out to talk to us and said the yellow one was a prototype but all the others were Hueys from the Viet Nam war. Gabriel’s boss, Dan arrived and came to talk to us too. It was a very interesting conversation. Neither of them could believe we were biking across the country. Gabriel said he could never do it but I told him if I can do it, he could also. For you Ann, we did come to a mom eagle and her 2 babies. We had to let them be as Hubs couldn’t go give the eagle with youngin’s  around. 😀. We stopped at McDonald’s again to have our lunch. We brought in our sandwiches but we did get fries and a drink so it seemed okay. Had to get a picture of the bikes as they waited for us patiently. As we were going by a florist we noticed this sculpture. It was really neat. We were probably about 5 miles from Clare when it started to lightly rain. We stopped to put our rain gear on and a mail lady stopped to tell us the storm was coming and we had a big hill before town. The rain didn’t last which was nice. The traffic was good as we didn’t have any shoulder the closer we got to town but we did make it before the rain. I did see 2 of my favorite things and seeing I could get them in the same picture I had to stop. I have to say today was a great ride. No climbs, the rain held off, most of the time the roads were smooth and 95% of the roads had good shoulders. Looks like we will be starting in the  rain tomorrow as we head to a warm showers in Saginaw MI. 

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 1,287 miles (2,071 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Phil/Ann DettwilerHAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LOIS!! Wow!! What a way to celebrate your 52nd birthday!! But the day sounds like it was a great one and the travel roads were, for the most part, decent! Re the Eagle: Holy man! Considering the SIZE of that mother, I'd have refrained as well! And those cute little eaglets don't need to know at this point in their lives that they will grow to be FIVE times more powerful than a bird.
Hoping you can have a good nightcap and lay your head on a soft pillow and that Gary will (for heaven's sake, yes) sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you.
May tomorrow's rain be slight (unlike what we have had here today: 3.9 inches!!) and your riding easy......and fun! ICE CREAM!!
Ann and Phil
Reply to this comment
8 months ago