Day 55 St Ignace MI to Alanson MI (day late) - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2023

Day 55 St Ignace MI to Alanson MI (day late)

This is being posted a day late as the Wi-Fi was not good where we stayed. 
It was 60° when we got up this morning but being near the water and the headwind we put on all our stuff. We had to ride over 3 miles to find the bike transport place so we could be shuttled over the Mackinac Bridge. When we got there we had to climb the stairs and walk across above the road to get to the other side and go down the stairs to pay for the shuttle, then back up and across and down again. When the truck came I was surprised that it was only like a pick up truck. I figured it would be more of a van and easy to get the bikes in. So Hubs and with the help (after Hubs asked) of the driver the bikes were loaded on the truck.  Over the bridge we went. After he dropped us off, Hubs said he thought we were supposed to be at a Dunkin Donuts but we weren’t. Oh boy, are we in the wrong place???? We rode on and found our bike trail. It was a really nice one again so that was good. We knew we had 3 climbs today and yes all 3 had pushing involved. Even a couple of hills there was pushing. Grrrrr! When we got to Bliss we noticed something was going to be going on as there were all these horses and horse trailers. There was a guy in the side of the road and he had a camera around his neck so we stopped to ask. It was going to be a polo match at 11:00. He told us we should stay and watch. It was not quite 10:30 so that meant wait 1/2 hour and hope it starts at 11:00 and then if we watch for 1/2 hour then we used up an entire hour. Hubs thought we should stay but things did not look like they would be happening soon so I thought we should go. We came across these things that we couldn’t figure out what it was. We knew it wasn’t a grape vine area. We did find someone and his name is Dan and he said it was where they used to grow hops. It was a big area so there would have been tons of hops. Don’t know why they still don’t grow them but the things are still up there. I definitely had to take a picture of this mailbox. Never seen one like it before but it was so cute. We stopped for lunch at a general store/gas station and were eating it on the curb when this guy came along and asked us where we were going and I said Boston but he meant today. I said Alanson and he said we better get going as a storm was coming with boomers and everything. Hubs looked at the weather and yup it was coming. We hightailed it out of there. Luckily we were on flat ground but had 11 miles to go. We only had some sprinkles now and then but when we got to the road for our camper we couldn’t find the house. Then it started raining hard. We thought we were in the right place but couldn’t find the camper. My bike sunk in the sand and fell over. Now my bags are all muddy from the rain and sand. Hubs knocked on the door of this tiny house but no one was home. As I was leaving a truck pulled up and the guy rolled his window down and asked why I was on the property. Hubs explained how we were renting a camper for the night but was now wondering if we got scammed. After discussing it and going over the Air B&B instructions the guy said he would drive us to find the place. His name is Glen and he did help us find it. He then asked if we would like to go out for dinner with him and his wife to the brewery. Bingo, that was the word Hubs will always say yes to. So Glen and his wife Jen picked us up and off we went. They told us how they sold their house to their daughter and her husband and they built this tiny house. This way they can do more things outdoors and not have to worry about taking care of a bigger house. They like going away so this makes it a lot easier. We had a great time with them and it makes all the aggravation trying to find our “Resort” more palatable. Thank you so much Glen & Jen for rescuing us and taking us to dinner. I know you know how much it meant 🥰. Tomorrow we head to Gaylord MI. 

Hubs putting our bikes on the truck to be shuttled over the Mackinac Bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trail we got on after being shuttled across the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Jim. He told us about the Polo match that would be starting at 11:00
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are the horses for the Poli match
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love the color
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltChicory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We didn’t know what these were till Dan the postman told us they were used to grow Hops
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Dan the postman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Absolutely love this mailbox
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike AylingRecumbent penguin?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Mike Ayling🤣🤣🤣
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Oh yes a day without hills would be what????
Heart 0 Comment 0
An abandoned house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to the “Resort”
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lovely detached en-suite
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely shower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs sleeping are
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entryway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where I hung my hat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jen & Glen, the awesome couple who helped us escape the “Resort” for a time at the Brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Brewery Beer Menu
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,429 miles (2,300 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0