Day 54 St Ignace our day off - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2023

Day 54 St Ignace our day off

Today was a rest day in St Ignace. We got to sleep in and boy we did. I slept till 7 and Hubs slept in till almost 8. We were able to make the 9:00 ferry to Mackinac Island as it wasn’t far from our motel. I couldn’t believe how many were going over at that time. We had to sit down in the ferry and not together. It was a 20 minute ride to get to the island. We did not bring our bikes as we didn’t want to walk around town with them if we weren’t riding. They rent bikes every where there but they are not cheap. We opted not to rent one but we did take the horse and carriage ride around the island. We had two different carriages as the first one had 2 horses and the 2nd one had 3 horses. The ride was very informative and we got to see more of the island than if we didn’t take the ride. The island is beautiful and so glad we went. It’s amazing how many people come over. Money is being made everywhere. Of course we couldn’t leave without Hubs getting his fudge. He was good as he only bought one slice instead of the advertised 3 slices every where. They have a grocery store there that really impressed me. I would love to have one like it in our area. The ferry ride back we decided to sit up top. Little did we know that we would be heading right into the wind. I swear if you stood up you would of been swept overboard. I had to hold my hat on my head the entire time or it would of flew right off. The weather on the island was perfect.Tomorrow we head to Alanson MI. We will be staying in a camper with an outdoor shower and an outhouse. Hopefully they have wifi. Let the adventurers continue. 

Our tickets for the ferry and the carriage ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our carriage ride on the island
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the ferry to Mackinac Island and going under the bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the only way they have goods delivered
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is called Skull Cave
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is to show that there are hills on the island
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a great grocery store. We were really impressed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ride back to St Ignace was very windy. I had to hold my hat on my head the whole time!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A little afternoon treat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Phil/Ann DettwilerYea for your wonderful experience and happy you took the wagon ride around the island.....you hear from locals doing that, and see much more than if you were on your own. Just love the selfies you take! And....was just wondering what must have been written on the back of Hubs' jacket as the woman behind him on the ferry appeared horrified. :-) Here's to the two of you for taking a day to relax and enjoy life on Mackinac Island!! And now you can look forward to the outdoor shower and privy. (!!)
Ann/Phil
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Phil/Ann DettwilerPhil & Ann are really curious and interested in your route and how you planned it….so plan on writing a good email re that (and how many eagles you saw) once home. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Reply to this comment
8 months ago