Train Tips - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2018

Train Tips

It's a bit presumptuous to call this page 'Train Tips', because that seems as if we really know something about trains in Europe.  In fact, information from the real European travel tipsters, like Rick Steeves, covering details of things like Eurail Passes have usually perplexed us.  No, this page is just about what happened when we looked into our planned train trip from Paris to Apeldoorn.  Our plan is to land in Paris and train over to Apeldoorn where we are buying two bikes and beginning our tour.  We were just curious about how much that might cost.

We actually started with Google Maps and searched Paris to Apeldoorn, specifying train.  What came back was both indecipherable and erroneous. This lack of clarity was glaringly obvious, even with just a quick glance. 

So we went to Google Search, looking for  "Train Paris to Apeldoorn" and we came across a site we have often seen, RailEurope.com.  RailEurope turns out to be a North American distributor of European train tickets, that offers service in English, French, and Spanish.  It represents over 50 railway companies, but is somehow affiliated with SNCF, the French national railway. It is to train tickets what booking.com is to hotel rooms.

The RailEurope site was easy to navigate and we had soon teed up two tickets on the Thalys high speed train, for a total price of 230 euros.  But never having really heard of RailEurope, we decided to check around a bit. What about SNCF itself?  Surely they would sell us some tickets.

So we found en.oui.sncf which is a more direct affiliate of SNCF.  The site was slightly harder to navigate, but it did offer us one ticket on the same train for 65 euros, which is exactly half price!  We had just been exploring and so had been talking about one ticket, but when we got serious and asked for two, the price for each jumped to 90 euros each!  In time we realized that the 65 euro ticket was the last one at that price.  So we went in and bought it, and came back and bought a second one at 90 euros.  The crazy thing was that the site allowed us to choose the seats, and we were able to select the 90 euro one right beside the 65 euro one.  We came out at 155 euros total, or 50% cheaper than RailEurope.  We think maybe it was that SNCF allowed us to tick that we are over 60, which seems to often mean something in France.

For what it's worth, that's our train tip for today.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Andrea BrownHi Grampies,

We saw a cute sweater on a cute baby recently. Hmm.

Here is another website that helps you find trains and train routes:
https://www.seat61.com
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Fern DavisHi

Glad to see you are on the move again. Happy travels!

https://www.rome2rio.com is another helpful site for searching travel options.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Michel Fleurancehttps://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/fn


SNCF trade unions have set up a strike of 36 days spread on 3 months.

Starting April 3rd, 2018
Finishing June 28th, 2018

as followed : 2 days of strike every 5 days, with a minimum service of 1 train out of 3.
SNCF cannot confirm that TVG would normally operate after the second day following the strike just because the TGV could be stuck in another city the previous day.

SNCF CEO Guillaume Pepy said that every day at 5.00 pm, SNCF will publish clear information of the next day’s ‘’ mess ‘’ on available operating trains.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceOh no, three month is exactly the length of our time in France! We will need to avoid any emergency train use, or at least plan ahead for it!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Douglas LotenSteve, as I mentioned in my email, my Dad was in Apeldoorn at the end of WWII... why are you buying bikes there?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesDoug, it's a slightly convoluted story. Last year Dodie was hit by a car just north of Apeldoorn and her bike was destroyed. By some miracle she was not, but at first she could not walk. Again by good fortune after a week she could mount and pedal an exercise bike that they had at the hotel. With that achievement, I went to a bike shop in town and bought an e-assist model. It's important to note that in Europe e-assist can not have a throttle and is limited in speed. As such they are widely used for touring.

As Dodie continued rapid recovery, the gentle e-assist was all that was needed to keep our tour alive. By chance, the shop I chose had a fine staff that helped us set up the ideal bike and also packaged the remnants of the old bike for mailing home. (It has now been rebuilt by the manufacturer in Oregon and will reappear next year in Yucatan!).

The only glitch about e-assist is that almost half the value is in the battery and the battery can not be transported by plane. Transport by ship is also impractical. So we took the bike home but left the battery with a friend in Paris.

Meanwhile, while Dodie has recovered from the car crash, she is on the list for imminent knee replacement, making her still an e-assist fan. All that sets up the idea of buying and keeping a complete bike in Europe. While it might be logical to buy the bike in Paris where the battery currently is, we developed no confidence in Paris merchants that we talked to last time. So its back to the trusted shop in Apeldoorn, even at the cost of a six hour train ride and adjustment of our whole cycle tour plan. It's a lesson for shop keepers on the value of good service. The shop in Apeldoorn is actually getting to sell two more or less identical bikes, one for me, not because I have any reason, other than if Dodie has a toy I want one too. "It's not a toy, it's a tool", she insists. Yeah, sure.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago