The perfect weather is on a roll - My C&O and GAP Pandemic Tour - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2020

The perfect weather is on a roll

Cycling the C&O from Williamsport to Little Orleans

Dam 5 on the Potomac
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was an Egg McMuffin morning. I was headed to the Waffle House but McD's caught my eye. Would it be a waffle or egg McMuffin? The All American breakfast sandwich won out.

I retraced my tracks from yesterday afternoon through Williamsport to the C&O trailhead and crossed the restored Conococheague Aqueduct (I say that needs to be in the National Spelling bee). 

Dam 5 on the Potomac
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail was again dry and reasonably smooth by C&O standards. The sound of roaring water signaled that I was approaching dam 5 on the Potomac. This is my #1 favorite spot on the C&O. I vividly recall the day my friend Chuck and I pedaled out of the tunnel of green and were greeted by this magnificent work of nature and man.

Dam 5 is another of the seven dams that fed water into the C&O Canal. The original wooden dam was built 1835. The current concrete dam is 20 feet tall and retains a 490 acre reservoir known as the Little Slackwater. It was a relaxing stop even though I had only pedaled six miles.

Interesting railroad Trestle just outside of Hancock
Heart 0 Comment 0

I traditionally veer off the C&O at milepost 112 for a visit to Fort Frederick, a French and Indian War fort built in 1756. I opted to pedal on and came upon Big Pool, exactly what the name implies. I have not cycled this section on my previous four tours. There was a cutover just past Big Pool that put me on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. 

Buddy Lou's in Hancock
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Western Maryland Rail Trail is a 20+ mile paved rail trail that parallels the C&O. It's pure heaven after 114 miles of the rough C&O surface. Hancock sits at the midpoint of the trail. It is a wonderful place to spend some time. A bike shop, restaurants, and many services make it an ideal overnight.

Foodporn alert! My totally excellent southwest chicken salad with Chipotle dressing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had lunch at Buddy Lou's an interesting restaurant, antique store, and local crafts market right along the trail. The food was quite good, mmmm southwestern chicken salad. It is cyclist central with the grounds littered with cyclists and their bikes. 

I said goodbye to Hancock with a visit to the C&O Bike Shop, another favorite tour stop. The paved trail ended after another twelve miles or so. It wasn't long and I pedaled off the C&O at Little Orleans. Bill's Place, a trail favorite, was closed for the day. My timing was perfect. The shuttle for the Town Hall Bed and Breakfast pulled into the parking lot.

Town Hall Bed and Breakfast at Little Orleans
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Town Hall is an amazing B&B. The current owners rescued the 1920s era hotel and restaurant on the National Road, US-40. The hotel had been closed for many years after the National Road was bypassed by  the new I-68. The renovation is quite nice maintaining the authenticity of the building.

Tomorrow's ride takes me from Little Orleans to Frostburg. There will be climbing!

The amazing view from the town hall Bed and Breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's C&O and GAP Trivia

The total length of the canal is 184.5 miles. 74 canal locks accommodate the elevation change of 605 feet . Over 150 culverts cross small streams. The crossing of major streams required 11 aqueducts.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 158 miles (254 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lucinda MillerI so enjoy your accountings of each day #behindthebars and #offthebike! Thanks for this blog, Tom!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
David ZiccardiIf you are interested and haven't done so before, you can take a short detour off the GAP from near Perryopolis to Layton to see the house that was Buffalo Bill's house in "The Silence of the Lambs." (The basement scenes were filmed at a sound stage.) A little over a mile before you reach Whitsett, you will see a bridge over the trail and a gravel parking lot on your left. Go up the short hill from the parking lot, make a right at the top, go through the short tunnel and across the bridge. Continue following the road passed the canoe rental place and eventually across the railroad tracks, then make the first right onto Circle Rd. across from the auto repair place. The house is the right there on the right, with the caboose on the property. Maybe a mile or so each way. The house just went on the market again. For just under $300,000 it can be yours!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago