Day 3 - April 14 - Dauphin Island, AL to Gautier, MS - Crossing the T.....Part One - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2024

Day 3 - April 14 - Dauphin Island, AL to Gautier, MS

In Search of Forrest Gump

Ed’s Story

Had a great breakfast on Dauphin Island before we left…. fruit smoothies, toast and peanut butter, fresh fruit, and coffee. We said goodbye to our hosts and headed out. We were on the road by 8:24.

Our first task of the day was to cross the Dauphin Island bridge. It was 3 miles long and overall about 8 miles to get off the causeway.

The approach to the bridge
Heart 5 Comment 1
Debbie ChimahuskyYikes!😱😱😱😱
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
The view headed north from the top
Heart 5 Comment 0

We continued riding and turned west toward Bayou La Batre, in search of Forrest Gump. Alas we never found him. We did find his shrimp fishing boats though.

We’re here, where are Forrest and Bubba Blue?
Heart 5 Comment 0
The whole section of road lifts up to allow ships to go through.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shrimp boats.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We eventually found US 90 and headed west toward Mississippi and yes, we found it.

We will be in Mississippi for about nine days.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Stopped in Pascagoula for lunch then continued on to Gautier MS to our WarmShower hosts, Jeff and Sheila. 

We did see one alligator in the backyard though. Obviously the alligator saw Medusa as it was approaching the house and turned to stone.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our ride today was 56 miles and if the roads were straighter, it probably would have been less.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow’s ride is only 43 miles and we will be camping at the Big  Biloxi Campground near Wiggins, MS.

Until tomorrow, happy biking!

John’s Story

Sunday morning on the bay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Marshes, Marshes, Marshes!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The sign said “No Diving or Fishing from the Bridge”. No wonder. It would be unwise to do either with so little water under the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dauphin Island in the rear view mirror.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Ed picturing the road ahead on the bridge and causeway across Mobile Bay.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And off he goes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So which way do we want to go to escape the storm?
Heart 1 Comment 0
For Ben.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Sarah GordonJohnny and Haley like the fire truck.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Rebecca ChimahuskyBen says it's his least favorite kind of truck lol
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

And now for Horticultural Corner.

I’ve always called these pink evening primrose. Bill?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltYou got it!

The white ones are likely hairy beggar ticks.

http://www.southeasternflora.com/view_flora.php?plantid=760#
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
I love thistles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of these little flowers on the roadside.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltYup, hairy beggar ticks!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
I have no idea. At first I thought they were little evergreens, but upon closer inspection they looked to be herbaceous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty purple petals.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like tuberous vervain.
http://www.southeasternflora.com/view_flora.php?plantid=140#

Yellow ones look like black medic

https://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/photo.aspx?ID=2702
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Water lilies.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Carolina-allspice, aka sweetshrub. Calycanthus floridus.
Heart 1 Comment 1
John ChimahuskyHow do I know what this is, having never seen it before? Our WatmShowers host Jeff showed it to us when we walked down to the bayou behind his house. Apparently Jeff described it to some folks at an arboretum, and they got pretty excited about it. It’s native to the Mississippi Gulf Coast but has not been found in the wild there for a good while. The arboretum plans to take cuttings from Jeff’s plant for propagation.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Let’s hear it for the fauna, too.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBox turtle. They can pull in head and legs, and fold hinges on lower shell up to completely protect themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_turtle
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Sarah GordonHaley: he’s so cute!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
We can come back to Bayou La Batre on May 5 for the Blessing of the Fleet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We met some fellow travelers today. Matthias and Maren Wagener are from Hamburg, Germany. They left Austin, Texas, 2 1/2 weeks ago headed for St. Augustine, Florida. They will then head up the east coast to see how far they can get before they have to fly home in June. Where’s home, you ask? Not necessarily Hamburg. They have lived on a boat for the last 9 years. In searching the internet looking for the correct spelling of Maren, I found a Facebook post with a picture of the boat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Matthias and Maren’s home away from home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Aha! We must be in Pascagoula.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A jackup drilling platform seen from the Pascagoula Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My quarters for tonight. I have this big RV to myself. Ed has a bedroom in the house. I think I got the better end of the deal.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow we’re back into our tents. ‘Night all.

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 140 miles (225 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0