What's It All About? - Crossing the T.....Part One - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2024

What's It All About?

South to North This Time

John's Story

Last year my brother Ed and I ticked an item off our bucket lists by riding self-contained from Washington, DC to the Pacific Ocean at Seaside, OR, and back to Portland. The big kahuna. Check! What next?

The idea arose to rotate 90 degrees and do a north-south ride across the country.  Not the whole continent mind you, just the USA.

Decision #1: North to south or south to north? It's a no-brainer that south to north is the better option for a spring start, and north to south for a late summer start so we can follow the changing weather. Somehow we landed on a spring start.

Decision #2: From where to where? Thought about and discarded for various reasons the notions of riding the West Coast or the East Coast, or starting at the southern tip of Texas at the Rio Grande River or at Key West, or riding up through the Rockies (although that thought still teases me for the future).  After a good bit of cogitation we decided to start from Pensacola, FL and head (more or less) toward Memphis and the Mississippi River, then up the river to it's source at Lake Itasca, and on to the Canadian border. Originally the plan was to touch Canada at International Falls, MN, then return to Minneapolis to fly home. We revised the plan to cross the border into Canada at the far northwestern corner of Minnesota and go on to Winnipeg. That way we won't have to backtrack to Minneapolis, and Winnipeg has infinitely more resources than International Falls in terms of bike shops (20:0), airlines (10:1), daily flights (dozens:2), and so forth.

Decision #3: When to start? Spring, yes, but when in spring? Brother Ed lives in Fremont, Ohio, in the heart of totality during the April 8 total eclipse, so not before then, but how soon afterward? We don't want to wait for hot weather to set in (though it might despite our best laid plans), so we've marked April 12 on the calendar as the day we start out from Pensacola.

Decision #4: All the way or in stages? Ed tells me he can't be gone from home long enough to do the whole tour at one go, so we're breaking it into two pieces.  This spring we will ride from Pensacola to Davenport, Iowa (or thereabouts, convenient to the Quad Cities International Airport in Moline, IL), about 1,300-1,400 miles. Next year we will finish the tour from Davenport to Winnipeg, about 1,000 miles. 

In case it hasn't occurred to you yet what "Crossing the T" is about:  Overlay this route with last year's east-west route, and it looks like a wobbly italic "t".  Sorry, that's the best I've got. Maybe I should be thinking about creating a font of bicycle touring routes. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Kelly IniguezHurray! You are back! I'm looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
George HallLooking forward to following along. There may be some overlap with my 2022 Great Rivers South tour that you could benefit from. Or maybe not, but our routes must parallel somewhat as I rode from New Orleans to Iowa. My journal; https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/warriorsdeathii/
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Nancy GrahamSo glad to see you two back on the road soon. I enjoyed your last tour and look forward to following this one ;’-).
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo Nancy GrahamThanks, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo George HallThanks! I'll take a look at your journal.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo George HallI've started going through your journal. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to challenges of planning logistics along this route. I had to look at a lot of alternatives to come up with our planned itinerary (see the next post in my journal). Our routes coincide in a few places, like part of the Natchez Trace, but oftentimes we'll be across the river from your route for one reason or another, or even far afield, like our start in Florida, moving over to the Mississippi at Memphis, staying with the Mississippi to St. Louis.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo George HallGeorge, I've gone through your journal. Our routes coincide in only two place, the Natchez Trace from Jackson to Tupelo, and the stretch of Illinois north of Hannibal, MO. We will be entering the Trace in the morning on the north side of Jackson east of Ridgeland, so hopefully traffic will mostly be headed into town. At Tupelo we'll be stopping for a rest day at our brother's house several miles south of the city center, and leaving the Trace just 3 miles after we leave his house to head northwest. We have a nephew who works at the local bike shop, so I'm querying him about alternate ways to enter and leave that might keep us off the Trace completely around Tupelo.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
George HallJohn - you should have a very enjoyable ride on the trace when you enter on the north side of Jackson - you are correct that almost all of the traffic will be headed into town. Tupelo was the worst of all for me, but you have the advantage of some local knowledge that may help you get a better routing. The entire 408 miles that I was on the Trace was extremely relaxing and easy riding except for entering Jackson and entering Tupelo, so if you work those 2 out then you will love the Trace! Motorists obey the parkway signage everywhere except for those 2 areas (parkway signs tell motorists that cyclists can use the full lane and they should change lanes to pass you).
Reply to this comment
2 months ago