To Apledoorn: We have done over a 1000km - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2015

To Apledoorn: We have done over a 1000km

The hotel last night was so busy. Some local was having a birthday party - I think the must have asked everyone in the district. Hoards arrived on bikes and in cars and the noise was tremendous. we watched huge and delicious platters of food being taken out to the starving, though unfortunately not us. We were able to have our dinner in a side room and for the first time I had Dutch pancakes with cheese and mushrooms and very nice they were too. Despite his massive workload the owner of the hotel scratched around to see if he could find us any cycle maps and when we woke up in the morning outside our door was an envelope with some he had printed off.

Today was a day of perfect navigation, the touring plus didn't miss a beat. Our first target was the little town of Heilo. There had obviously been an enormous celebration the night before and the clean up had begun. I have never in my life seen so many disposable plastic cups and we crunched through them - it must have been some party. The wind was quite strong today and mostly it was side on. Much of the time we were cycling beside canals and for me one of the exciting things was crossing the River Ijssel on a ferry. The GPS led us on a rough dirt track and low and behold we reached the ferry where we had to push a bell to summon the ferry. I was somewhat surprised when the ferry actually appeared, we loaded up and off we went to a little sheltered harbour on the other side of the river chatting to the ferry man who was telling us where we should find coffee. Unfortunately all three places were shut so we went all day without finding a cafe.

Our destination for the day was Apledoorn which looks a nice town but is really rather big for us. With some difficulty we found a hotel, Ken watched the Belgium Grand Prix on TV and we went off to explore the town. Now we will go and find some dinner, I am starving

A fine little thatched house, there are lots in this area
Heart 1 Comment 0
They had a great array of pumpkins too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken likes geese
Heart 0 Comment 0
It must have been some party
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ferryman wondered however we had found that ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into the little harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of apple and pear orchards
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice way to travel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is how to transport your children
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,019 km (633 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0