Through Valence to Le Pouzin: Another day of magic - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2015

Through Valence to Le Pouzin: Another day of magic

Today was a day of going between the Ardeche and the Dome travelling once more on fantastic cycle tracks. We seemed to spend a lot of time going across bridges, on one side of the Rhone it was the Ardeche and the other the Dome so we were farewelled and welcomed to each a number of times. But there are a number of big tributaries coming into the Rhone such as the Isere and the Dome so as we came to each of these we had to follow it up and there was yet another bridge. The via Rhona is great in all departments but the Drome takes the prize. The signs are just a bit more frequent, there are more information boards, there are seats and picnic tables all along the way and any bumpy bits in the track have been repaired.

We had been a little concerned about getting through the really quite big town of Valence. We shouldn't have worried, it is in the Dome so absolutely perfect signage led us through and gave us a wonderful tour of this beautiful town keeping us out of the reach of busy traffic. The town is on a hill so we we first led up beside the town walls to the centre. A clothes market was being set up there and we were able to get a coffee in the main square. From there we continued to a large area with tents set up, some sort of finishing line was there and activity was really building up, obviously A race was being held today. The half way down the hill we came to a park with lovely gardens and fountains and the most interesting looking children's playground. Then down hill to the Rhone and as we expected the perfect path along it.

Once more we were travelling through orchards for a lot of the day, today they were largely peach or apricot. There were of course wonderful vegetable gardens - all growing too much for one family to consume so I think they must sell some of it.

Tonight we are staying in Le Pouzin an tiny old town which has nothing much to really excite you. We are however staying in an Ibis Budget Hotel. These are probably about the best for cycle tourists. They are clean and the ones we have stayed in have reasonable sized rooms, BBC World, good Wifi and good cycle storage and what is more they are cheap. This one is attached to a regular Ibis so we a free to use its facilities. We have a view off the river once more and Ken is keeping an eye on the day cyclists finishing their rides and loading up their cars. We saw many day cyclists today but not even one lot of cycle tourists.

On my way
Heart 0 Comment 0
A river cruise
Heart 0 Comment 0
Central Valence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Setting up for some sort of race
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gardens at Valence
Heart 0 Comment 0
I meet some cute dogs
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many towns have these easily avilable hire bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fantastic vegetable gardens
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old villages
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
To this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0