From Minden to Neinburg - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2015

From Minden to Neinburg

We went down to the Aldstat of dinner last night and found what is one of the best Italian restaurants we have ever been to. Ken had his usual salad and I had a wonderful pasta dish with a creamy tomato sauce and lots of shrimps. What is more before our main course the patron brought us delicious warm bruschetta. We have been impressed with our cheaply we have been eating, our evening meal usually costs around 20E and that includes a beer with it. Neither of us however are very big meat eaters and cant get through the large amounts of pork served with most German meals but have been finding really lovely and huge salads.

Minden is a town of around 85000 people. During World War 2 it was extensively bombed the worst of these attacks occurring in the last few days days before it was overrun by the allies in April1945. This means that there are really only a few old buildings in the central pedestrian precinct, however the usual exclusion of motor vehicles make it a very pleasant and attractive place to be.

Our hotel was beautiful and very spacious. The only problem was that breakfast wasn't until 8am and we like to leave earlier than that but with the weather considerably cooler it didn't matter to much. At Minden the MittellandKanal crosses the Weser on an aqueduct. This is an important canal cutting across central Germany and probably is not as important these day as it was in the past though we did see some large barges on it and watched one which seemed to be loaded with massive rocks going through a lock.

Being Sunday the dog walkers were out in full force, often whole families walking their charges. Dogs in Germany are very well behaved and although we saw hundreds today not one barked nor at anytime did we feel the slightest bit threatened. The varieties are interesting they tend to be either very big - there are lots of German Shepherds and beautiful Golden Retrievers or they are absolutely tiny (would make Bernie look like a giant) some of these are very cute but others look to me like small rats. It seems to me that the bigger the man is the smaller the dog! The fashion we have in NZ and Aussie for poodle cross breeds seems to be completely absent.

Tonight we are in a hotel in Nienburg in a room overlooking the Wesser and are watching a man fish by throw a strange net attached to a pole into the river, he appears to be catching things that look like small eels.

The patchwork shop in Minden, look at the perfect points
Heart 0 Comment 0
We prefer not to take that way
Heart 1 Comment 0
Figures at Petershagen
Heart 0 Comment 0
She is enjoying her book
Heart 0 Comment 0
While we sat drinking our coffee in Petershagen beautiful music came from this church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel in Nienburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Nienburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 557 km (346 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0