Khlong Khut to Chanthaburi: The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2017

Khlong Khut to Chanthaburi: The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

We had no need to rush this morning because we had a very short ride. We had planned to stay near the Namtok Phlio National Park south east of Chanthaburi but could only get accomodation for tomorrow night so we are spending the night in Chanthaburi and heading out to the National Park tomorrow.

Chanthaburi was part of French Indochina for eight years ate the turn of the nineteenth century and has a large Vietnamese population. Along the some old French colonial buildings, it is home to the largest Catholic cathedral in Thailand, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Because we arrived in town before ten in the morning, we first headed to the cathedral before heading for our digs. It is really a beautiful building and in pristine condition.

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - the things that tourists must do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - you can buy Madonnas, Buddhas and Crucifixes at the vendor outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we went looking for the Tesco which we had passed on the way in to get some green tea for Leigh. we managed to find the long route to get there and ended up travelling a few kilometers further than we should have.

Our digs for the night is a budget business hotel, the Hop Inn. All new and clean and functional. We've got some work to do and the room has great WiFi and a nice workspace at which to sit and work.

After a bit of work, we had a walk in King Taksin Park which was full of Chnthaburians getting their late afternoon workouts done. King Taksin, or Taksin the Great, was a general in the liberation of Siam from Burmese occupation after the Second Fall of Ayutthaya in 1767, and the subsequent unification of Siam after it fell under various warlords, and became King on Thonburi.

King Taksin apparently wore a round brimmed hat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Offerings to King Taksin
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 5,752 km (3,572 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0