Ushuaia - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

February 22, 2020

Ushuaia

The lake was wonderfully quiet this morning, that is until the guy with the chainsaw woke up.

The view from the cabana this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started out some time after ten thirty with no real motivation to make it all the way to Ushuaia.  We have a cabana booked from Monday so we have two day's to kill.  While cycling back to Ruta 3 we passed a Swiss couple coming the other way.  They had camped further east on the lake and were heading for the old pass over the mountain while we were taking the easier gradient of the new Paso Garibaldi.

Bright blue skies as Leigh climbs out of the bowl of the lake back to Ruta 3.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lago Escondida.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hosteria Petrel visible to the right of center frame.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old pass just below the mirador. So glad we didn't choose the shortcut.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The traffic was heavy but well behaved as we climbed up to the mirador.  The gradients were easy and the sun was shining.  It felt pretty good to be cycling.   We agreed today was too good not to keep on cycling and decided to carry on all the way to Ushuaia.

After the mirador there is a drop of about three hundred and fifty meters before passing through a valley at the end of which the second climb of the day starts.  

Some great views as we passed through the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The traffic started to get really busy and more dangerous.  After a bit of frustration I blanked out the traffic, put my trust in the Grand Cycle Tourist of the Universe and tried to enjoy the views, because it was a very scenic ride.

Where do all these cars come from ???
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views compensated for the dreadful traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The gates to Ushuaia lie about six kilometers east of the city.  From there it is an ugly slog to the famous Fin del Mundo sign.  Despite the ugliness I was on a bit of a high.

The gates to Ushuaia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fin del Mundo !
Heart 1 Comment 0

We then sought out a restaurant with wifi, sat down and enjoyed a beer and an empenade and used Booking.com to find accomodation nearby.  We have booked into the Auroras de Fuego for the next two nights and then move into a cabana until we fly out to Buenos Aires in a week's time.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,949 km (1,210 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0