Hosteria Petrel at Lago Escondida - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2020

Hosteria Petrel at Lago Escondida

It wasn't easy to drag ourselves away from the Panaderia la Union but after a breakfast of scrumptious media lunas from the bakery we set off on the undulating road to Lago Escondida. 

Looking back towards Tolhuin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some good views of the mountains to the south.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The road was far hillier than yesterday and now we also had to work into a fresh headwind.  We will have to get used to this because we will be traveling mostly westwards until we reach Ushuaia.  Today's traffic was once again on the high side of moderate but as the day wore it became heavier and more manic.  I was forced to delve into my dictionary of Anglo-Saxon descriptive terms to help certain drivers understand how I felt about them.

Our target for the day was the well known casa de  ciclista at the abandoned holiday resort called Hosteria Petrel on the south-western corner of Lago Escondida.  There is a row of cabanas on the lake's edge, the second last one being in reasonable condition.  It has been fixed up by passing cyclists (many thanks to cycle2recyle for all the hard work done at the various casas de ciclistas along the way) and is equiped with a fireplace, table and seating.

The second last cabana that has been designated a casa de ciclistas. Note the makeshift ramp for getting bicycles up to the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bath time looms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dipping a toe into the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going the whole hog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeez, that water is freezing!
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are a few locals camping nearby, one of them armed with a chainsaw, so there is a risk that tonight's peace might be disturbed.  Apart from that, this is a little paradise.

This mink came visiting. Along with beavers they were introduced for the fur trade but are now both are problem animals.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,885 km (1,171 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0