South of Fray Bentos - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2020

South of Fray Bentos

A laid-back day at our great digs at La Aceituna.  After the bustle and noise of Fray Bentos and the other towns along the way through the south-west of Uruguay, this place is a little oasis where we are recharging and relaxing.  The Saffron Finch continues to serenade us from our balcony and the other birds have kept me occupied in the large grounds. 

The Saffron Finch's missus is rather drab but she is clearly attracted to the male's display song, regularly joining him on the balcony while he sings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The garden is full of Orange-bellied Thrushes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I cycled into town to buy some groceries and Leigh did the laundry (such gender specific roles!).  A good nap in the afternoon left us feeling refreshed.

The wind has been blowing strongly from the south-east bringing in lots of clouds. In the evening these developed into a lovely tropical thunderstorm with lots of lightening, thunder and pelting rain.  It felt like we were back in Africa or South-East Asia again.

Today was also our last day in Uruguay.  We have decided to head across the Uruguay River to Argentina and catch a bus up to Uguazu followed by cycling in a south-easterly direction to Porto Alegre in Brazil, our final destination before we head back to South Africa.  The original idea was to cycle eastwards to the coast of Uruguay and make our way northwards to Porto Alegre.  There are three main reasons for this change.  Firstly, a lot of people have suggested we would be selling ourselves short if we don't go to Iguaza.  Secondly, it puts the prevailing winds in our favour.  Finally, we just can't afford Uruguay - it is so much more expensive than the rest of South America.

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 2,264 km (1,406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0