Gualeguaychu - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2020

Gualeguaychu

We were sad to leave La Aceituna.  It has been one of my favourite stays on this trip.

Leaving La Aceituna.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the road we spotted a number of Burrowing Owls.  I am not sure if they were out because their prey had been flushed by the heavy overnight rain or if the rain had flushed the owls out of their subterranean homes.

Burrowing Owl.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There were also lots of large spiders on the roads.  Not sure what they are but they were around ten centimeters across.

Lots of these fellows out on the road today.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltFall is mating time for tarantulas. The farther north (or in this case, south), the earlier it starts. Males roam about looking for females. Suddenly where it seemed none existed, they will be very common for a short while.

We used to catch lots of them when I was a kid in California in the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Bill. We thought they might be tarantulas but looked a bit small. We were expecting something a bit more dramatic. They look very similar to what we call Baboon Spiders in South Africa , which it turns out are a sub-family of tarantulas.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Checking out of Uruguay and into Argentina was quick and easy.  As at the ferry in Buenos Aires,  the two countries officials sit next to each other and one is stamped out and in in one step.  The only problem is that bicycles are not allowed on the bridge across the Rio Uruguay.  So we had a hitch a ride.  After about twenty minutes we got a lift in an empty vehicle transporter.  The bicycles looked rather vulnerable so we sat in the back and held onto them.

The first time I have had the chance to ride in a vehicle transporter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lift across the Rio Uruguay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was pretty flat and easy and we had lots of opportunities to stop and bird.  It was mostly still cool and only warmed up as we approached Gualeguaychu.

A long distance shot of a Maguari Stork and a Roseate Spoonbill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have checked into the Hotel Are Pora while we sort out our bus ride to Uguazu.  We cycled out to the bus terminus and bought our tickets being assured by the salesperson that we would be able to put our bicycles on the bus. Then we cycled back into to town and found a craft brewery where we had a few beers, a platter that tried to be a charcuterie (but mostly consisted of cheap cold meats and some bad cheese) and a plate of patatas-not-so-bravas.  Thankfully there was a begging dog that help us clear the plates.

Strong beers - their Old Ale is 9% ABV! - and some strong language.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dog that ate the cheese.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,327 km (1,445 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0