Thung Wua Laen - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

February 10, 2019

Thung Wua Laen

The train ride was uneventful.  We even managed to sleep a bit.  The train pulled into Chumpon about half an hour late (I have yet to experience an on-time Thai train) but it was still pitch dark.  It is hard not to fret about the bikes not being unloaded in time but of course I was worrying for nothing.  Both bikes were on the platform by the time I reached the freight car and after an expensive early breakfast of egg and toast at a very touristy pavement restaurant we set off in the dark for Thung Wua Laen. 

Because we are so unfit, we decided to ease gently into cycling.  So our first day is a gentle 16 kilometers down to Thung Wua Laen where we stayed a year and a half ago on our ride up from Singapore to Saigon.  

We got to Thung Wua Laen at about seven o'clock so of course we couldn't check into the digs, the Talay Sai Resort, that we had booked on the net the day before.  So we took advantage of the resort's loungers on the edge of the beach and slept.  At about ten thirty they let us know our room was ready for us to check in - checking in early is such a great thing for cycle tourists in Thailand because it means you can start cycling before sunrise and escape to a cool room before midday.

The rather idyllic view from in front of our digs.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A gentle swim followed by a good lunch has hopefully set the tone for a relaxing stay.

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 23 km (14 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0