Phang Nga - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2019

Phang Nga

Today started out like most others on this trip.  Out onto the street sometime before seven o'clock to find some breakfast and then hitting the road before the sun rose too high.

Todays's breakfast was only picked up on the outskirts of Takua Pa because all the vendors close to the Station Hotel had yet to have any food ready.  As insurance against not finding any breakfast we first picked up one of the dreadful pocket sandwiches from the 7-Eleven before starting our ride.

The first fifteen kilometers went absolutely swimmingly as we  headed down highway 405.  Lovely shade, cool morning air and a quiet road.   We stopped at the top of a small climb to eat our breakfast before enjoying a nice downhill.

The remains of an old Landrover Series II. As a Landy owner I can't help myself from taking an interest in these old vehicles, even if they are no longer on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely natural forest for the first few kilometers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just before twenty kilometers came up I started feeling uneasy about the direction in which we were heading.  It seemed that we were heading eastwards into the hills.  A quick look at the map confirmed we had missed the turnoff down route 4090 about four and half kilometers back.

By now it was starting to get hot and the shade seemed to have disappeared.  The road to Phang Nga now seemed very long and we wondered if we shouldn't look for somewhere to stop along the way.  In the end we pushed all the way to the TP Place Hotel in Phang Nga (very good ground floor room for 590 baht a night) but wasted a lot of time looking at a few accommodation options along the way and taking long breaks to cool off when we found a shady spot.

Leigh in particular felt the heat and so we are having a nice rest in the comfort of our air-conditioned room this afternoon.  We are hoping to spend tomorrow heading out into the bay of Ao Phang Nga National Park tomorrow to visit Koh Tapu , aka "James Bond Island" after it featured as his nemesis' hideaway in "The Man with the Golden Gun".

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 488 km (303 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0