Klong Thom - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2019

Klong Thom

We made our escape from Ao Nang before seven o'clock this morning but we didn't truly escape until we got near our lodgings for the night.  Today was one of those "nothing" days.  There was nothing terrible about the ride but there was nothing enjoyable about it either.  Most of it was on highway 4 heading southwards and a great deal of this was in the grip of Krabi's urban sprawl.  The traffic was unrelenting but never troublesome and we felt safe riding in the wide shoulder.  However, there was seldom any shade and we spent most of the morning pushing into a headwind.  Tomorrow will most likely be very similar but hopefully things will improve after that.

The first task upon our arrival in Klong Thom was to find a place to eat.  Many of the street side eateries will have a little glass container in the front of the shop showing what meat, fish etc is available and we were on the lookout for some crispy pork or moo krop which we soon found.

We are almost clear of the tourist areas now. Nice to be eating lunch sitting on plastic chairs and drinking from tin mugs filled with nam kaeng (literally "hard water" or ice).
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lunch also provided a chance to chat to the proprietor and a friend of his.  Both spoke remarkably good English and it was good to have a short interaction with locals who weren't just out to fleece falangs.

I had identified a few potential places to spend the night.  Leigh liked the sound of "Vanilla Ville" and it happened to be just around the corner from where we had lunch.  It looked very good -  a large clean ground floor room in good condition - and the asking price was 550 baht which I thought was good value.  However, when I tried to pay, they would only accept 500 baht. 

Two nice touches have made what would have been a less than enjoyable day far more pleasant.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 676 km (420 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0