Shodoshima - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2018

Shodoshima

After a few hours of work we packed up and made our way down to the ferry port where we caught the ten past eleven boat to Shodoshima, a small island in the Seto Inland Sea between Honshu and Shikoku, landing at the port of Fukuda.

Our ferry from Himeji to Shodoshima.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trip took about an hour an a half on a very neat and comfortable boat.  After looking for some lunch in Fukuda but only finding rice crackers (which were better than nothing),  we set off  along the coastal road towards the ports that could connect us to Takamatsu on Shikoku. 

Buddha with .. a golf ball ?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had no real plans and were vaguely aware that there was a campsite a few kilometers short of the Ikeda port.  There were a number of other cyclist along the way and we had a brief chat with two of them at a lookout.  They confirmed that there were a number of places to camp so we carried on slowly, stopping a number of times, including for a longish lunch of tempura snacks from a supermarket in Choritsu, the first real town we encountered.  This was at three o'clock and we had a quite a lot to eat, which was quite fortunate given how the day panned out.

Parts of the coastline was very pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Olive groves.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found the Shodoshimafurusatomura Camping Ground situated on a little hill overlooking the sea.  It had all we needed but was a few kilometers from the nearest food.  Thankfully, we were still full from our late lunch and had a couple of packets of peanuts which we washed down with a few beers.  Enough to see us through the night.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,352 km (1,461 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0