Himeji - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2018

Himeji

We had always known that the section from Kyoto southwards through the industrial heartlands of Osaka and Kobe would be one of the less pleasant parts of our journey.  Kyoto itself is very pretty but the bits between there and Himeji are to endured because they cannot be enjoyed.

At least it wasn't raining this morning and our ride throuygh Kobe to Himeji wasn't an ordeal.  We managed to find some nice bits of cycle path along the way but it was mostly through industrial and commercial areas with high traffic volumes.  Soon after riding on the one very pretty section of cycle path along the top of a tsunami protection wall I managed to get us slightly lost and onto Nigashiniijima, a man made island that is an industrial park.  After that it was pretty much a straight run into Himeji.  We were on sidewalks or cycle paths the whole way so it was all very safe riding.

Apart from the pretty section mentioned earlier, the one striking site along the way was the bridge to Awaji Island, part of a link between Honshu and Shikoku.

The bridge from Akashi to Awaji Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,322 km (1,442 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0