Fukoshima Takamatsu - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2018

Fukoshima Takamatsu

The last few days have been very hot and humid but last night's rain put an end to that.  The temperature has dropped by about ten degrees and the humidity has also decreased.  

We sought out the local konbini to buy breakfast but it was closed.  We weren't the only ones surprised.  A number of locals were also expecting it to be open.  The next option for in the next town but first we had to get over the next headland.  As we made our way out of town on route 220 we had a small climb to a tunnel which we found was blocked to cyclists, pedestrians and rickshaws.  The reward was a lovely quiet road on the sea side of the headland.

No pedestrians, rickshaws and bicycles.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we entered the next town we crossed this river that had the most porcupine-like island we have ever seen.

Porcupine Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While enjoying out breakfast a local gentleman came over to chat to us.  As usual he was amazed that we came from Minama Afurika and were cycling the length of Japan.  After warning us that it would rain today he gave us a gift of bottled coffee which is very popular here.

Coffee in a can.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we had a lovely, if cool, ride inland until we reached the town of Kushima where we turned eastwards over a hilly eight kilometers to an onsen that I had read about.  Here we had a long and lazy scrub and soak before heading back to Kushima.  By the time we came out of the onsen the rain had started to fall and we took refuge in a Joyfull Restaurant for a very early supper.  When the left the restaurant it was raining steadily and we made our way to Takamatsu Beach where we found a shelter under which we could camp.

Sunset at Takamatsu Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0

.

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,111 km (1,932 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0