Aomori - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2018

Aomori

A view of the lake at our campsite this morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning was the end of our time on Hokkaido.  We cycled down to the ferry port at Hakodate arriving with more than two hours to spare.  So we hung around in the very nice terminal building.  Good seating, free wi-fi and sparkling clean toilets.

The motor cycles and bicycles (there were two Japanese cycle tourists as well) got loaded first.  Then it was up to the spartan "standard" area.  We've done a number of Japanses ferries before so we knew what to expect.  What we didn't expect was free wi-fi on board for the duration of the voyage.  This allowed me to get some research done of the birds we have seen on Hokkaido.  In particular I needed to confirm the species of a number of gulls and waders we had seen.

Taking our "seats" on board the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

On our arrival in Aomori we headed in a south-easterly direction to Goppa Park, a small city park on the beach front with an onsen nearby.  Supper was konbini fare from a nearby Lawson's enjoyed on the beach with a couple of beers to wash it down.  It's only the second time we are stealth camping on this trip and this time it is in the middle of a city.  Stealth camping is a relative term - our tent is the brightest shade of orange possible.  It is now eight o'clock, it has been dark for almost two hours and the park is still quite busy.  Someone who seems to be a park supervisor has twice ridden past us and given us a good look.  The second time we had already set up our tent (it was already dark) and we received a friendly "Hello" from him (in English, what's more).

Gappo beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,316 km (817 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0