Day 5 - Within Striking Distance of Laos - Package Deal Part 2: Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2019

Day 5 - Within Striking Distance of Laos

Nan to ThungChang Hill Resort

Supposedly a new bus route opened up from Nan to Luang Prabang since November of last year. At the time it was daily, but not surprisingly, the frequency has dropped off to one bus a week.  A bus ride would be the perfect way to get the bike across the border, but I had to confirm a few details first.  When the clerk said the next bus was not until July 26 I figured that plan was as good as dead. Furthermore she said it doesn't stop anywhere en route, just a direct bus from point to point. So why even open a bus route if it doesn't make stops on the way?  Wouldn't it make more sense to fly? Well wait a second, this is about riding bikes isn't it. So I figured enough of this, I would ride as close as possible to the border then.

Stopped off in Pua along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The closest accommodation to the border is in a town called Thung Chang, still about 50km short. The bike ride there turned out to be beautiful, one of the best so far. The weather cleared to partly cloudy skies which was bliss given the conditions at the beginning of this ride. Apparently there had been some serious floods in this area that I had missed by a week or two. I'm definitely not complaining!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The resort itself was beautiful and made for a great sleep.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 347 km (215 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0