Day 2 - Nasty Bug - Package Deal Part 2: Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2018

Day 2 - Nasty Bug

Happy House Homestay to C&C Resort

At the start of a tour it happens too often:  the sudden onslaught of exercise lowers the immune system, and after a few days of getting used to it, the exercise reverses the trend and the body gets stronger and is able to de-stress and detoxify. Basically it's just a matter of toughing it out for a few days and easing into the routine, so I purposely held off on the kilometers today.

Another factor:  I had pre-existing stress and toxins from a busy lifestyle and too much sitting around at the bar drinking alcohol.  I really need to cut that shit out, and I've come up with a plan to at least reduce it.  Then the final toxin was some poorly prepared pork sausages at breakfast. Of all types of meat, pork is the most prone to being unclean especially when not prepared properly. There is a scientific basis for it. For this I have to say the Muslims are really onto something.  Look at it this way, you can fast voluntarily or you can catch a bug from eating shitty pork and the and the body will do a involuntary fast.

Sausage rejected
Heart 0 Comment 0
Attached cafe
Heart 0 Comment 0

That was settled, it would only be a short ride today. It was essentially up and over the mountain pass. The best part was stocking up on fluids.  

Was I ever glad to see this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotspring geyser
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ancient Khmer ruins
Heart 0 Comment 0

It wasn't long before another resort appeared, this time the famous "Cabbages and Condoms" with various locations all over rural Thailand. Basically it's a nonprofit restaurant and hotel organization with proceeds going to charity. As the name suggests, the charity involves distributing condoms and educating people about safe sex practices to areas affected by STIs and poorer areas of the country not so familiar with proper health. 

Basically I was dead tired and slept much of the afternoon then I slowly felt the energy coming back. Most likely tomorrow I'll be near full strength again but am still taking it easy. Fluids will be the order of the day until the digestive system is flushed out.

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 146 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0