Rest day in Nelson - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2012

Rest day in Nelson

If there had been any wonder in my mind as to why the impressive hydro power stations had been built so closely to Nelson, they were quickly removed during last night. The rain came down in what I can only describe as biblical proportions. Being under a tree without any grass, only hard compacted earth, caused mud to fly in all directions making not only the outside, but much of the inside of the tent filthy too. Needless to say, a few expletives were muttered in the morning when I finally crawled out of the tent after a fitful sleep.

Nelson's Baker Street on a Saturday afternoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Having so many jobs to do, it seemed only right that after breakfast and journal updating we should go and explore Nelson. It is a very pretty town with a very laid back feel to it, a bustling main street and many other visitors. My patience has finally worn so thin with my current sleeping mat, a Thermarest Z-lite that I had decided to buy another one, and managed a Thermarest self inflating one.

In a country where so many buildings are made of wood and do not last very long, it is nice to sometimes find a well made building that has lasted 100 years. Needless to say, this is one of Nelson's most photographed and iconic ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The afternoon was dedicated to cleaning and servicing the bike, finishing other jobs, cleaning the tent, and of course having a few cups of well earned tea, made easier by the presence of an electric kettle in the communal area. The communal area was very busy in the evening, probably because everyone was struggling to avoid the heavy downpours which had returned, and a bit of a party happened, thanks Brad for the rum punch, and not so many thanks for the Saki.

"I'll huff and i'll puff and i'll blow your house down". Cool wood carving on a rooftop in Nelson.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0