Who are the three old blokes? - Three old blokes tackle the Tasmania Trail - CycleBlaze

Who are the three old blokes?

On the Mawson Trail in 2021
Heart 2 Comment 0

Steve,Pete and I (Dennis) have been riding together for a few years now. Last year we did the Mawson Trail from Adelaide up into the Flinders Ranges which was an epic adventure over 2 weeks and 900 kilometres. (If you missed the blog of that trip it is on cycleblaze ‘3 old blokes tackle the Mawson Trail’)

On that trip we had the luxury of a support vehicle, which not only gave us a break off the bike but also transported all our gear. It may or may not have also included an esky with refreshments and the odd bottle of fine wine.

No such luxuries on this trip. We’re carrying all our belongings, cooking and camping gear and any campsite beverages will need to be hauled from the nearest shop.

Pete is a retired teacher/principal who prefers washing up to cooking, fixes all my computer problems and has an excellent sense of direction. The added bonus of including Pete is he raises the average height of our group to over 6 foot.

Steve is a retired greeting card salesman* who has purchased a new bike for this trip and has so far resisted the temptation to tinker with it. He is a fine cook who likes a good red wine and obeying all signs.

(*Not his real job)

I am an optometrist wondering what the hell Im going to do next, as I’ve just quit my job after 30 years in the one practice! Hopefully the Tasmania Trail will help me clarify that dilemma.

I’m good at pretending to cook and wash up and have a shocking sense of direction. Despite that, on approaching a fork in the road I can confidently point in one direction and convince people that I know where I’m going. My strike rate is close to 50%. I’m also crap at rocks, scissors and paper so end up regularly with the smallest bed or slopiest campsite. (Apparently slopiest isn’t a word, but better than what it auto-corrected to; which was ‘slop oestrogen ‘)

So we’ve done our training, been on a recent 3 day hit out to test all our gear and boxed our bikes ready for our flight to Launceston on Friday.
Tasmania awaits!

The backroads near Cowra on our practice ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Modern bike technology is amazing. On arriving at one’s destination you simply tip the box upside down and the bike assembles itself!
Heart 3 Comment 1
JP PrestonThe technology seems to have moved on since our trip in NZ some years ago...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierLooking forward to following you on this one!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago