Day 19: San Lorenzo de El Escorial to Ávila - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

Day 19: San Lorenzo de El Escorial to Ávila

Mother Nature turned the thermostat down, turned up the fan, and raised the ground level.  This resulted in a day where proper clothing was difficult to achieve.  We were very warm on the climbs and somewhat cool in the descents - even wearing extra clothing items like arm warmers, knee warmers, secret shirts, and wind vests.  Today's route had quite a bit of climbing and the last climb took us to the highest point of this adventure:  Alto de Valdelavia at 1448 meters.  After this pass, the wind was wicked and whipped us in many directions, but was consistently coming from the left side.  Tough day even though it was short.

Last look at the monastery as we leave town - with morning sun behind it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet cobbled street as we depart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old town gate ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the backside of the monastery and palace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A lovely lake on the backside of the palace.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And there's a reservoir in the background as we look towards Madrid.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There is a steep climb as soon as we leave town and it began on a rough road.  We wondered if this is what the descent would be like, but we were pleasantly surprised when the rough road converged onto a newly paved surface for the remainder of the climb (and descent).  

Looking back towards a portion of the first climb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at San Lorenzo and the monastery.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The photo view point on the climb looking towards San Lorenzo with Madrid on the skyline.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The hillside across from the photo view point. Rock walls delineating pastures?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped to visit the iglesia in Las Novas and the doors were open.  The interior was very different from what we have normally seen and the acoustics were really nice.  A lady in the church told me in Spanish that Chuck sang beautifully.  I agree.

The main altar. Notice the wooden ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This side chapel had the most beautiful wooden floors whereas the rest of the church was rock floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entry to the church.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next stretch of scenery reminded me of riding through the Ochoco Mountains east of Bend.  It felt (& looked) so familiar.

Where am I? Oregon? Spain?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boulders and trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we topped out of a climb, we could see these mountains in the distance. The views were getting better with every kilometer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The warm climbs and cold descents continued and then we came across these views.

This could almost be Eastern Oregon . . .
Heart 1 Comment 0
Green is a great sight to see in draught ridden Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the highest point (I think) of our tour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fellow tandem riders, Phil & Verna from the UK. He's also our bird expert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're so happy that Jeff joined us for the second half of this trip - he's recovering from a serious cycling accident last January.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Introducing Wendy who joined us in Madrid.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rest of the ride into Ávila is a gentle downhill which should be quick and easy, right?  No!  The crosswind was horrendous, as well as bitter cold, and it made the going slow and precarious.  We think we hit a whirlwind at one point as it slapped Chuck on one side and me on the other and the bike did some really weird movements.  We didn't escape the wind until we rode into town where the buildings provided barriers.  We were happy to see our hotel as we rode on cobbled roads into the walled old town.  

We rushed to get settled so we would have plenty of time to visit the Cathedral and to walk the old city wall before happy hour with the group.

The cathedral was across the street from our hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entry to the Sacristy with its elaborate walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pillars outside of the Sacristy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The alabaster carvings on the backside of the main altar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An upclose photo of the intricate carving in the robe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Decorative work in the choir chamber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The organ and the virgin in the choir chamber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main altar with two tiers of stain glass windows above. The architectural feat of the 14th century was creating these windows in such tall walls allowing the light to flow into the altar area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Check out the artwork on the ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the cathedral from the city wall. The wall ends at the cathedral and then begins again on the other side.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wall has been beautifully restored and maintained.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stairs up to the wall and the walkway can been seen in this photo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wall completely surrounds the old city. It is fully intact, but only 1.2 kilometers are accessible to the public.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the entry we rode through and our hotel is about 100 meters on the other side of the gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We ended the evening with an Ávila specialty, the Chaletón. Basically, a T-bone steak for 2-3 people. We were so excited to have a really good steak!
Heart 4 Comment 1
kath vowlesLooking at Chuck's plate it looks like he polished off a whole one on his own, but after that tough ride it wouldn't surprise me🤣.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

It was a tougher ride today than expected due to Mother Nature's interference, but we persevered and had a good time.  The scenery was ever changing and beautiful.  

Day 19: San Lorenzo de El Escorial to Ávila
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 996 km (619 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0