Day 18: Madrid to San Lorenzo de El Escorial - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2023

Day 18: Madrid to San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Today is the start of the second half of our traverse across Spain. We left Madrid along the Manzanares River's cycle path to the Parque de Casa Campo.  Luckily we cycled out of the massive city via this park and didn't have to deal with much of the city traffic.  It's a short day and it ended up being along fairly busy roads - that's what happens when you are around metropolitan areas with a population of over 6 million.

Riding along the cycle path leaving our hotel in Madrid.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A glance at the Manzanares River in Madrid.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Skyline view of the old city from the cycle path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge leading across and up to the Royale Palace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gate to the Parque de Casa Campo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lago de la Parque de Casa Campo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road through the park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We passed Warner Bros. Amusement Park and a zoo on our way through the park.  There is so much to see and do in Madrid!

We continued onwards and came across the town of Brunete where we found the church open.  At last an unlocked church!  The ladies inside were delighted when Chuck sang, and Chuck was delighted with the acoustics inside this particular church.  Too bad I didn't video it this time!  

Now that we are leaving the city, we can see the mountains where we are headed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Altar of Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fountain in the Plaza Mayor in Brunete
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back at the church from the Plaza Mayor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entry into Plaza Mayor in Brunete.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our next stop was in Valdemorillo and to our surprise the church here was open, too.  Of course we stopped to check it out.  The acoustics weren't on par with the earlier church.  But it's always fun to explore.

Parroquia Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
Heart 1 Comment 0
Altar of the church
Heart 0 Comment 0

We only had a few kilometers left, but the traffic seemed to stick with us. Oh well, that's what it takes to get out of the big city.  The scenery was pleasant though.

It feels great to be back in the countryside on two wheels.
Heart 1 Comment 0

  After settling into our room, we went to check out the Real Monastery de San Lorenzo del Escorial.  What an amazing place!  Sadly, like all the national museums we've visited since Madrid, no photos are allowed.

Our hotel, Victoria Palace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entrance to the monastery.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another angle shot of the monastery. Lots of kids were visiting it this afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The King's Plaza within the monastery.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This property was not only a monastery that houses an amazing library with frescos, but it was also the royal family's summer palace.  It was constructed beginning in the 1400s and was used by both the Hapsburg and Bourbon families over the centuries.  We visited the library, the basilica, the pantheon for the children that never reached puberty - 9 chambers, the pantheon for the kings which also has one queen (Queen Isabel II), the Hapsburg's king & queen chambers, and the Bourbon's king & queen chambers.  The paintings and frescos within these walls were breathtaking.  The history sometimes feels like make believe.  So much has happened in this land over the centuries!

Day 18: Madrid to San Lorenzo de El Escorial
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,056 km (656 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0