Day 20: Ávila to Segovia - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2023

Day 20: Ávila to Segovia

Mother Nature's interference continues!  Starting temperature today was 5C (41F) with cross & head winds again.  The high today is supposed to be 9C (48F).  Hard to believe it was a heatwave a couple of weeks ago with temperatures reaching the high 30s C (100F).  Well, that is just part of the adventure.  

The ride today was gentler than yesterday - as in not as much climbing - and the scenery was just as stellar and ever-changing.  We loved it and I wish I had taken more photos, but it was too cold to stop for photos often and it was too hard to pull the camera out with full gloves on.  But I have a scattering of photos to share.

We are riding at about 1200 meters above sea level today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were a lot of what we call cattle ranches in this area, but we didn't really see a lot of cattle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was great to see a full reservoir - this was the left side of the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this was the right side of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And then there was this nest . . . we were somewhat surprised that the nest was so low to the ground. We could see the chick when we rode by. Photo courtesy of Maryann M.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Once we entered the province of Segovia, the road surface became much rougher than the road in the province of Castille (where there had been road signs indicating an expenditure of 2.3m euros on the road).
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rollers were too short today to gain enough speed on the downhills to top the next one, so we had to work a bit.  But the work kept us warmer.  Eventually we came to the town of El Espinar and we went in search of the city center and its church.

Look! More storks! I remember when we used to get excited about seeing storks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Base of the lamppost.
Heart 1 Comment 1
kath vowlesThey don't update things round here very often🙂. I presume at some point it was converted from gas to the new fangled electricity 🤣.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Town plaza's fountain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Entry to the church that was locked.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, two storks! Actually they were dummies to keep the real storks away. There were 4 nests on a dilapidated dwelling across the street.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had been riding east so far, but from this town onwards we turned north into the wind.  Leaving town we had our big climb of the day and then it was a nice gentle downhill into Segovia.  The wind has settled a bit, but it was still quite chilly unless the sun poked its head out.  We were racing today to try and get in before the predicted rain showers.  We were successful.

Poppies are starting to crop up everywhere.
Heart 5 Comment 0
They are so colorful against the cloudy skies.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're staying in an old monastery that has been converted to a hotel. I'll take photos tomorrow, as this is a layover day hotel.  We decided to have a late lunch today so we could try the local specialty.

We shared an entree of roasted artichoke in a mushroom and foie gras sauce. Delicious!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our main course was a Segovian specialty, conchilla. This is a roasted suckling pig dish. Excellent!!
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesYummy😋
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
And a meal isn't complete without dessert. Chuck had the best brownie and mine (well, I don't really know what it was because it was in Spanish) was absolutely delightful.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the late lunch and happy hour meeting, we went for a walk to see the aqueduct of Segovia.  Our hotel is located at the end of the aqueduct, so a perfect spot to begin our walk.  Of course, a rain shower happened while we were out and we waited it out under one of the many arches.

This is the end of the Roman aqueduct that is across the street from our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the small channel that the water flowed through.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Part way down the road, we came across a building along the aqueduct that was used to hold the water to let it settle - sort of like a cistern. The impurities would settle and the clean water would continue to flow to the city below.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The first arches of the aqueduct.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And it is growing taller with every step we take.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of the town center.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Virgin Mary set high above in the aqueduct.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here we are looking back along the street that we walked down to the old city. We waited out the shower under one of these arches.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And as the shower subsided, we were blessed with this wonderful double rainbow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And it was a complete rainbow!
Heart 3 Comment 1
kath vowlesVery pretty 🙂
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Apparently this is a very famous restaurant known for its Segovian specialty, roasted suckling pig. No, we didn't eat here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesAdded to my list for future reference when we finally get to go there🙂
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Day 20: Ávila to Segovia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another great day of cycling across a beautiful part of historical Spain.  Now to decide what to do tomorrow . . . do we ride in the morning before visiting the Cathedral or the Alcazar?  Or do we play tourist all day?  Hmmm . . .

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 933 km (579 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0